SEARCH FOR THE FUNNIEST STUDENT AT TEMPLE

The iCAST College Comedy Bake-off, a comedy tour of 25 college campuses, arrived at Temple University on October 10, 2000. iCAST is searching for the funniest college student. Kim Wallace, iCAST spokeswoman, said, “We are

The iCAST College Comedy Bake-off, a comedy tour of 25 college campuses, arrived at Temple University on October 10, 2000.

iCAST is searching for the funniest college student.

Kim Wallace, iCAST spokeswoman, said, “We are looking for the funniest college student.”

Students have the options of performing stand-up comedy routines, telling jokes, doing sketches or anything comical.

The competition at Temple was held at 8:00 p.m. in Mitten Hall’s Owlcove.

Naim Lynn a senior kinesiology major won the Temple University iCAST College Comedy Bake-off.

“I guess it’s a big honor. I feel good about it. There are a lot of people at Temple and to be chosen as the funniest is an honor,” said Lynn.

Lynn’s routine was a stand-up which consisted of seven jokes.

The winner was determined by audience applause. He will advance to the final competition where he will represent Temple University against the other college winners.

Wallace said, “We are giving them the opportunity they need to be noticed.”

The competition is divided into four subdivisions broken down by region. The winner from each subdivision will go to spring break in Cancun, Mexico, where the final competition will take place.

The national winner wins a chance to go on tour with Janeane Garofalo & Friends, a nationwide comedy tour.

Comedian Ralph Harris hosted the comedy bake-off. Harris has performed on several television shows including In Living Color, Seinfeld and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He currently stars in Comedy Central presents Ralph Harris on the Comedy Central Network.

National voting takes place on the iCAST website at www.comedy.icast.com. A panel of comedy judges also work to decide the winner.

Temple students signed up for the comedy competition at the Bell Tower between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on t he day of the competition.

“The talent level, some are not funny, but overall they have all been hilarious. Some of the students look so comfortable on stage, like they have been doing it all their lives. Natural born entertainers,” Jim Striebich, Project Manager of U.S. Concepts said.

During a past comedy competition, comedian Margaret Chow was discovered.

“It is a tremendous opportunity for an individual who might want to be discovered,” said Wallace.

The current tour began at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst on October 3, 2000 and will end in Jacksonville on October 30, 2000.

As the tour progresses, comedian Colin Quinn of Saturday Night Live will join the comedians.

Wallace said, “I can’t wait to see who we keep finding as the tour progresses.”

iCAST is an entertainment website. Visitors can access an extensive range of music and movie information, downloads, streaming radio, comedy and short films.

The tour is sponsored by Cool Mint Listerine PocketPaks and co-sponsored by Salon Selectives and Hyundai.

During sign-ups at the Bell Tower, students had the opportunity to virtually test drive a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe and sign-up to win it. Participants had the chance to win a trip to Paris, France for two for six days by telling their worst hair story.