‘Seed’ should never have been planted

When I was younger, Chucky was a genuinely scary character. The original Child’s Play film was really creepy. Seeing that little murderous doll chasing that kid around an apartment still freaks me out when I

When I was younger, Chucky was a genuinely scary character. The original Child’s Play film was really creepy. Seeing that little murderous doll chasing that kid around an apartment still freaks me out when I think about it.

But as I get older and more Child’s Play movies come out, I begin to question how horrifying Chucky really is. I wonder how Chucky could keep coming back after being destroyed so many times. I wonder why he started telling more jokes than killing people. And I really wonder why people don’t throw him off a building or bury him alive because, after all, he’s just a doll.

This brings us to Seed of Chucky. Presumably, writer/director Don Mancini concocted Seed as a tribute to all the dedicated fans of Chucky and his doll-wife Tiffany. Which begs one simple question, “Who are these people and why have they gone off their medication?

A moronic practice in meta-story telling, this comedic installment of the legends of Chucky focuses on his and Tiffany’s gender-confused voodoo child, Glenn. Glenn makes a trip from the UK all the way to Hollywood to find his parents. Upon arrival, he discovers Chucky and Tiffany on the set of the new Jennifer Tilly movie based on their murderous rampages.

The movie-within-a-movie concept goes nowhere very, very fast. Redman appears as himself, although that seemed to be a stretch for him. Tilly tries to sleep with the rapper to get a part as the Virgin Mary in his new Bible epic. The movie pats itself on the back for this horrible joke repeatedly.

What unfolds next is entirely pointless because plot must mean nothing to Mancini. He just lets Chucky and family loose to kill while trying to cram in as many dirty doll jokes and way-too-dated cultural references as he can.

Unlike other horror movies trying to use the “it’s so bad it’s good!” formula, Seed is just plain bad. Reaching for campiness is one thing, but trying to buy camp with a John Waters cameo is another, though Waters as a nosy paparazzi is one of the movie’s more enjoyable components. Too bad he’s killed without incident entirely too quickly.

Tilly, looking more likely to become a role model for many future drag queens, gives a self-mocking performance as herself so convincing that it feels like she really might be angry about the status of her career. Ironic since the downfall of her career can be attributed to accepting parts like these.

Billy Boyd plays the voice of Glenn with the enthusiasm and innocence of a young British chimney sweep, which can be funny. By the end, the transgender jokes become too annoying to handle and you want him to shut up.

Chucky says in the film that as a man he would be a nobody, but as a doll he is infamous. Also true that as a murderer he is frightening, but as a joke he is grating.

Mike Benner can be reached at mbenner@temple.edu.