Seifert inks contract with Cincinnati Bengals

Those aspirations to become a marine biologist have been put on hold for now. Elliot Seifert, an offensive tackle who would like to work as a marine biologist one day, signed with the Cincinnati Bengals

Those aspirations to become a marine biologist have been put on hold for now.

Elliot Seifert, an offensive tackle who would like to work as a marine biologist one day, signed with the Cincinnati Bengals Wednesday after going undrafted in last weekend’s NFL Draft.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Seifert said. “I’m going to give my absolute best to earn a spot. I felt a little low after the draft, but I went straight through the roof when I received that phone call [offering a contract]. I can’t wait to get started.”

He won’t have to wait long.

Seifert will attend the Bengals’ first mini-camp beginning Thursday at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.

If he makes the team, the 6-foot-7, 300 pound Seifert will become the third former Temple player to suit up for the Bengals, joining linebacker Santo Stephens and defensive end Tim Perry.

At Temple, Seifert started each of the 34 games he played and earned four letters. He was a semi-finalist for the Draddy Trophy, which honors the player who owns the best combination of academic success, on-field performance and community involvement.

Seifert was given the Owls’ Top Hog Award as the team’s best offensive lineman last season. “Sports Illustrated” deemed him Temple’s “Big Man on Campus” in the magazine’s annual college football preview last fall.

Off the field, Seifert, an Eagle Scout, is a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and spent a week in Ambergis, Belize last summer doing research for a tropical marine biology class. He was also named Temple’s Male Athlete of the Year last week.

John Kopp can be reached at john.kopp@temple.edu.