Seniors key to Owls’ victory against Montana

Seniors Sandra Sydlik and Alyssa Drachslin were Temple’s two assist leaders in the Owls’ 3-0 win Friday at McGonigle Hall.

Temple was led by its seniors Friday in the team’s 3-0 victory against the University of Montana.

Senior Sandra Sydlik led the team with 34 assists. Senior Alyssa Drachslin was second on the team in assists with four, along with a team-high 13 digs.

Coach Bakeer Ganesharatnam said the Owls’ seniors were key in the third set, where the team jumped out to an early advantage.

“We started out with Sandra serving, she did really well,” Ganesharatnam said. “She did a really good job putting pressure on them and we were able to jump out to a 5-1 lead.”

The third set was the best defensive showing that Temple had all night. The Owls held Montana to 14 points.

“When I do get the chance I want to go out and deliver for my team, and for my coaches, and for myself as well as its my last year,” senior Kayla Yingling said. “It was definitely a team effort we all came together mentally and it was good for us all.”

Despite having one start this season, Yingling said that it is her responsibility to help the team in any way she can.

“I’m always there trying to help out,” Yingling said. “Izzy [Rapacz], me and her pepper in stuff together, and whenever I’m defense I always try to help her out, and I’m always here to be a leader.”

This game was Temple’s first since placing second in the Seton Hall Invitational, which Ganesharatnam said was a good learning experience as a team.

“The Seton Hall Invitational was a really good tournament,” Ganesharatnam said. “We played some really good teams so going in we knew it was going to be a tough tournament. It really gave us an opportunity to see where we stand.”