Sept. 11 Released

When it happened, we vowed never to forget. So far, we’ve kept that promise. Forgetting the horrific attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, seems to be about the worst way we could dishonor the near 3,000

When it happened, we vowed never to forget.

So far, we’ve kept that promise. Forgetting the horrific attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, seems to be about the worst way we could dishonor the near 3,000 people that died in the three attacks. That day changed the world forever, especially our world as Americans. It still chills our bones to think of that day, the terror we saw on the television screens and the unknowing wonder of what it all meant and what was to come.

Although we always want the date of Sept. 11 to be remembered, the date has become more than just that. It has become an idea – one that carries a negative response. Because of this effect, we’re afraid of this date.

This is Sept. 11’s first return to a Tuesday, the day the actual attacks happened. Tuesday is the typical release
day for music, DVDs and books.

For any public relations representative, you can imagine what a complex release date that is to promote. It raises tons of ethical questions based on marketing strategies. ‘Is it appropriate to promote a record on the anniversary of such a tragic date?’ ‘Should commercialization take a backseat to remembering all that was lost on one of the most important dates in history?’

And perhaps the most complicated question: ‘Does this make it look like we’ve forgotten Sept. 11?’

But that didn’t stop Kanye West’s, 50 Cent’s or Kenny Chesney’s “people.” All three performers have highly-anticipated albums releasing today – Sept.11.

This is a bold and appropriate move for West, Fiddy and Chesney.

They have started the movement that paints Sept. 11 not as a day that should be so revered that we put it away in a box, afraid to mention it. Instead, it is a day that can be respectfully remembered, honored and looked at as a symbol that Americans have the strength to persevere.

And today, art and music is a fitting way to honor and rise up.

Some think that remembering can only be done with fanfare and showy parades. But others prefer to remember quietly.

Remembering something like Sept. 11 might be more preferred by people if it was a personal reflection. As of press time, no student organization on Temple’s campus is holding any remembrance or memorial services.

But that doesn’t mean Temple has forgotten about Sept.11.

We will all reflect today, whether it’s to ourselves, with our family or our close friends. Six years after the attacks, there might be no fanfare, but the thought of two towers, a government fortress, a plane of 40 brave people and waving flags will be on all our minds.