SEPTA strike keeps some Game 6 watchers home

With SEPTA on strike, many of Phillies’ faithful were forced to abandon their usual sports bars and watch Game 6 of the World Series from their living rooms Wednesday night. Popular spots for game-watching around

With SEPTA on strike, many of Phillies’ faithful were forced to abandon their usual sports bars and watch Game 6 of the World Series from their living rooms Wednesday night.

Popular spots for game-watching around the city were virtually unreachable for Temple students who rely on the subway and buses.

Tim Brodwater, a senior journalism and theater major, watched the game from his Kardon apartment with a few friends.

“I’m pretty annoyed that I can’t go out into Center City tonight,” he said. “I was looking forward to having a few drinks, but I don’t really have money for a cab home from the bars so I’m staying in.”

Brodwater tried to see the silver lining. “At least SEPTA waited until the games were back in New York to have a strike,” he said.

After making a comeback in Game 5 and moving on back to the Bronx, Phillies fans were hopeful for another win. The Phillies tried to overcome the Yankees commanding lead and take it to Game 7, but just couldn’t hack it last night.

Ryan Howard, who was holding the record for most strike outs in the post-season (13 in all), redeemed himself with a two-run homer during the sixth inning. Hearing fellow fans’ cheers in neighboring apartments through a wall or open window served as part of the charm of watching the game from home.

The cheers turned to sighs of disappointment when the Phillies fell to the Yankees. Shane Victorino got the third out in the top of the ninth and New York became the 2009 World Series Champs for the first time in nine years, and the 27th time in the team’s history.

Sadly, many fans stranded at home, like Brodwater, couldn’t even order a double whiskey to console them after the 7 to 3 loss.
Michelle Provencher can be reached at michelle.provencher@temple.eduS.