SIM: support independent music

Everyone likes music of one sort or another. The affinity for music is one of the reasons why Temple freshman Jeff Meyers and his brother Craig, a junior, created the club Supporting Independent Music. The

Everyone likes music of one sort or another. The affinity for music is one of the reasons why Temple freshman Jeff Meyers and his brother Craig, a junior, created the club Supporting Independent Music.

The goal of SIM is simple, so simple it’s practically stated in its name.

“We promote underground bands,” Jeff said. “It is important to keep music alive.”

Growing up, Craig introduced Jeff to many bands. As Jeff’s passion for music increased, he developed an interest in promotions. He began promoting any band he could.

Jeff created SIM in order to utilize the Owl Cove for shows.

“I understand how hard it is for bands to get shows,” Jeff said.

SIM wants to promote more than just bands.

“We are keeping our options open to all sorts of entertainment,” said Jeff.

A project in the works is an independent film festival. A nominal fee is usually charged for the shows, with a discount given to students. The price ranges from $4 to $10. SIM also receives outside help from various magazines and venues like the Pontiac Grill and Kill Time.

“I think SIM is great because not very many people on campus know about the whole Indie and punk-rock circuit,” sophomore and music supporter Lauren Bertelson said. “A lot of people are willing to go to the shows and support this type of music. I think a lot of people seem very interested in it.”

Be sure to catch SIM’s next show tomorrow night at the Owl Cove. Bands playing include Digger, Little League, The June Spirit, Grey AM, and The Scaries. For more information check out the SIM Web site at astro.temple.edu/~dbergman.