SLAP: University must continue to defend guards

As students at Temple, we are extremely pleased that Temple has recognized their power and duty to improve the working conditions of AlliedBarton security guards on our campus. For more than three years, the Temple

As students at Temple, we are extremely pleased that Temple has recognized their power and duty to improve the working conditions of AlliedBarton security
guards on our campus. For more than three years, the Temple administration has stepped back and allowed the injustices on our campus to continue. Last Friday, the
administration finally heard the demands of the officers, students, clergy and community members that fought to correct these poor conditions. Now, the Temple administration must continue to move forward to ensure that AlliedBarton raises the living standards of its employees
on our campus.

Citywide, AlliedBarton employs a 16,000-person, largely African-American workforce. Billionaire investor Ronald Perelman, a University of Pennsylvania alumnus who owns 70 percent of AlliedBarton, is counted as the 94th richest person on the planet, while most guards on campus only make around $9.15 an hour. In addition, AlliedBarton guards do not receive any paid sick days. This
means that many guards must choose between working sick and forgoing a day’s pay.

Therefore, Temple University must take action and put pressure on AlliedBarton to act on the grievances expressed
by workers, including granting the guards five paid sick days per year. This would improve both the university community and the surrounding North Philadelphia
neighborhood. The Temple administration has
finally opened its ears to the injustices on its campus; it must now turn its understanding and awareness into action.

-Kevin Paris
Student Labor Action Project