Slicing across the country

The women’s fencing team kept itself busy during the winter break, traveling to Evanston, Ill. to compete in the Northwestern Multi-Meet, and San Diego for the North American Circuit. The two-day Multi-Meet, which was held

The women’s fencing team kept itself busy during the winter break, traveling to Evanston, Ill. to compete in the Northwestern Multi-Meet, and San Diego for the North American Circuit.

The two-day Multi-Meet, which was held Jan. 11-12 at Northwestern University’s Patten Gymnasium, was the first dual meet of the season.

Several schools from around the country participated, giving the Owls more experience with nationally prominent opponents.

Temple went 8-2 at last year’s competition, posting impressive wins in all three weapons categories.

This year proved to be better than last.

The Owls coasted to wins over North Carolina, 21-6; Lawrence University, 26-1; Wayne State,20-7; Johns Hopkins, 21-6; Farleigh-Dickinson, 19-8; Michigan, 24-3; Detroit, 24-3, and a shutout against an outclassed Cleveland State, 27-0.

The Owls did lose to Ohio State, 17-10, and edged out a win over host Northwestern, 14-13.

Coincidentally, this was the same outcome of last year’s match against the ‘Cats’.

Junior epee fencer, Sara Forsythe, paced the Owls over the weekend, finishing with a 23-3 record, including a flawless 12-0 second-day outing.

“We were really depending on her this year to perform how she did,” coach Nikki Franke said. “She did a great job.”

Junior Stephanie Sargent and sophomore Katrina Najm rounded out the epee squad with an overall record of 20-5 and 14-11, respectively.

Temple’s dominance was also seen in other weapons categories.
Senior captain Sakinah Shaahid finished with an overall 15-3 record in the sabre division, including a perfect 10-0 second day.

In the foil competition, junior Nerita Brummel finished 15-5, sophomores Jeanne Browne and Nnennaya Okoro combined for a 17-6 record, and freshmen Maryanne Forsythe and Jenna Remmert combined for a 13-8 record.

Much of the Owls’ triumph can be attributed to the underclassmen, who have improved since the beginning of the season.

They have combined for a 57-34 record.

“We were pleased with how they progressed over the two days,” Franke said. “The whole purpose of the meets is to prepare and improve, and get ready for the rest of the season.
It was a good start to the season, definitely.”

On the weekend of Jan. 18, seven Owls made the trip to sunny San Diego to participate in the NAC.

This competition was held for Senior (anyone with a national classification of a “C” or better) and Junior fencers across the country to try to accumulate individual points.

In the Senior division, Shaahid was the only Owl who managed to obtain any individual points, placing 23rd out of 80.

Her point total at the end of the day placed her 32nd in the entire country.
Several Owls soared in the junior foil division.

Remmert, who qualified to compete in both senior and junior division, earned points by placing 21st out of 87.

Browne earned points as well, placing 30th.

The last home meet of the season took place Jan. 26, when the Owls hosted Rutgers, James Madison, Farleigh Dickinson and Hunter College.

The Owls guarded their nest, defeating each team with impressive numbers.
The epee squad went 25-11, sabre 19-5, and foil an impressive 32-2.

Remmert and Brown each posted shutouts in foil.

The Owls will travel to Hoboken, NJ this weekend to face off against Haverford College, Johns Hopkins and Steven’s Institute of Technology.

Steve Papurt can be reached at baby.gerald@verizon.net.