Smart, sleek and sexy hot for fall

On the first day of sociology class, I noticed a chic girl confidently walk in fashionably late. With her conversation-starting wardrobe, I couldn’t help but admire Sammy Davis’s personal style. While I stick to either

On the first day of sociology class, I noticed a chic girl confidently walk in fashionably late. With her conversation-starting wardrobe, I couldn’t help but admire Sammy Davis’s personal style.

While I stick to either diamonds or pearls, Sammy is ready to mix and match layers of both. As journalism majors and fashion lovers, we easily became friends. With our mutual passions, we struck out to write a column where we could share and get feedback on the latest news about Temple’s unique fashion.

Together we’ve rummaged the shops of Center City to bring you the latest fall fashions, both cheap and expensive. This fall it’s time to forget those lazy bohemian summer days and put your best wardrobe forward. Summer was about bumming it; fall is about being put together.

For both men and women’s lines, designers are going for refinement – a good look for taking on the new semester like a pro.

Shades of autumn consist of brown, burgundy, burnt orange, and dark blue for women, said Earl Hand, assistant manager of Kenneth Cole on Walnut Street. These hues are being accented with brass hardware found on the latest fall accessories.

Jackets or blazers with matching pants exude put-togetherness, which is why designers are pairing up such pieces in a variety of fabrics, from denim to tweed, herringbone to chino. Think menswear with a feminine silhouette.

Hopefully most of you haven’t bought into the trend of ripped distressed jeans, because this fall is about sleek lines. Darker denim is giving a “more sophisticated look for a different kind of sexiness,” Hand said.

Round-toed shoes are making a step forward for fall, but pointed toes were still popular among various lines. Suede and lizard embossed heels and bags are a definite must for fall.

Perhaps it has to do with Daisy Duke, but cowgirl boots are making way in footwear fashion.

Just like women’s fashion, men’s lines are also seeing a more conservative edge.

When it comes to distressed denim, “the pendulum is swinging the other way,” Chi Kim, buyer-merchandiser for Ubiq on Walnut Street, said.

Like women’s jeans, the dirty look is out. Denim is taking on a refined look in an array of darker washes with a much cleaner cut.

“Men’s trends are typically a year behind women,” Kim said. So, while blazers were hot for women last fall, as they still are, men’s blazers are just becoming very trendy this year.

Blazers can be casual or dressy. They aren’t just for work anymore, so guys can wear them to class in fabrics like corduroy or denim. Pair it with a button down with tan, brown and blue stripes.

For the less polished look, a plaid lumberjack shirt will do.

“Every single line I’ve looked at had some form of this flannel shirt,” Kim said.

Men’s fashion is about making a statement this fall. If you want to go with a leather boot, go with suede accented with distressed oil marks, but if you’re more of a sneaker kind of dude – bright colors are very hot.

Overall, fall is about cleaning up your act and pulling your look together, but for a relaxed look, western style is very in.

When putting yourself together this semester, remember to dress to impress. Nothing makes a better first impression than having a clean and chic ensemble.

Kaitlyn Dreyling can be reached at khd1217@temple.edu.