Snowboarding hits the slopes

While some students dread the idea of walking to class with snow on the ground, Temple’s Snowboarding Club can’t wait to see mountains of snow. The Temple University Snowboarding Club, established by junior Andrew Mullen

While some students dread the idea of walking to class with snow on the ground, Temple’s Snowboarding Club can’t wait to see mountains of snow.

The Temple University Snowboarding Club, established by junior Andrew Mullen in October 2004, has greatly expanded its membership, doubling in size since the end of last season. Mullen, president of the organization, still hopes for some new faces.

“Last year there were 27 paying members. This year there are about 70, but we have a lot more to offer [this year] than last year,” Mullen said. “We have bigger, better trips and better benefits for the members. If you snowboard or ski, there’s no reason not to join. You can only get benefits.”

Benefits include discounts at ski and skate shops, a discounted subscription to Snowboarder Magazine and to Power Magazine and discounted Bear Creek Mountain lift tickets. The organization also ordered $200 worth of tuning and waxing equipment. All members are charged $5 for this service, which is 80 percent less than the average price at ski shops, Mullen said. In addition, members receive a T-shirt designed by the group.

Members can get a chance to know one another at the group’s many social events.

“The membership due of $25 is all going to come back to you,” Mullen said. “Every trip we go on is going to be cheaper than the non-members’ [trip].”

Last year the club took trips to Blue Mountain Ski Area in the Pocono Mountains in Palmerton, Pa., Mountain Creek in Vernon, N.J., and Bear Creek Mountain Resort in Macungie, Pa.

This year the snowboarding club will take a five-day trip to Mount Tremblant Resort in Quebec during winter break.

“We also would like to have a weekend trip to Killington, Vt. or somewhere else, but the officers still need to decide,” said junior Heather Larsen, vice president of the group.

“We’re hoping to set up a learn-to-ride trip in early February, and it’s going to be at Bear Creek. It’s a good mountain to learn on,” Mullen said. “We’re trying to team up with the Main Campus Program Board and have it opened to the whole university.”

To learn more about the Temple University Snowboarding Club, the organization’s next meeting will be held in Tuttleman Learning Center Room 303 on Dec. 6 at 8 p.m., or check out the club’s Web site, www.temple.edu/snowboardingclub.

“My goal next semester is to obtain a sponsor who is a corporate snowboarding company,” Mullen said about the group’s future plans. “I feel like this club has a lot more to offer than a lot of other organizations.”

Jeff Appelblatt can be reached at The.Jeff@temple.edu.