Some students vacation at Temple for summer school

Junior Spanish secondary education major Andie Terrera said working full time and going to school during the summer can wipe a person out. Whether students are working or hanging by the pool between class time,

Junior Spanish secondary education major Andie Terrera said working full time and going to school during the summer can wipe a person out.
Whether students are working or hanging by the pool between class time, a large percentage of Temple students choose for school to be in session during the summer months.

In 2007, more than 11,000 students took one or more summer classes – 5,595 students during Summer I, and 6,128 students during Summer II. Dominique Kliger, director of distance and summer programs, encourages students to take advantage of taking classes during the summer months.

“Summer courses have been available to students for over 30 years,” Kliger said. “Since 2003, about 11,900 students took summer courses every year. In the summer of 2007, excluding Temple Japan, there were over 1,000 course sections offered.”

Kliger said that summer courses are good for students because the classes are smaller and easier to concentrate in. While taking summer classes is not required for all students, many students enroll for several reasons.

Kliger’s student assistant Melanie Gebhardt has never taken summer courses but said many students enroll to eliminate some of their coursework in fall and spring semesters.

“Most students do not have enough credits and want to graduate on time,” Gebhardt said.

And it may be more convenient for students to use the resources during summer sessions compared to spring and fall semesters, said Michael Stokes, director for Student Support Services. Associate Director Janice Kersey said that other resources such as writing centers and health centers are always available for students during the summer semester.

For some students, one session may work better than the other. Terrera took classes during both, and said Summer I was easier for her.
“It was easier because you have a week off after the end of spring semester, so you’re able to reenergize,” she said. “By the time Summer II came around, I was tired.”

Having classes condensed in six weeks is a bit of a challenge, but students Reeja Oomen and Tracy Charles have no complaints about being in school over the summer.

“This is my first time taking summer classes,” said Charles, a freshman biochemistry major.

Although she has not taking any summer classes, Charles was part of the Summer Bridge Program last summer. She decided to take classes during both Summer I and Summer II.

“I want to graduate in the next four years so I could go to nursing school,” she said.

Charles said that the condensed course could help with some of her harder classes.

“Taking classes – especially an anatomy class – is more focused,” Charles said.

Oomen, a sophomore anatomy and physiology major, took summer courses last year, and said that the first half of her summer was more difficult because of the material in the courses she chose.

“My pre-calculus class was so hard at first,” said Oomen, who also wants to go to nursing school. “It’s better during the summer to use the available resources, because a lot of students aren’t on campus during the summer.”

Both students said that there’s still room for fun, even while taking classes – but it depends on the type of person you are.

“I’ll be working and volunteering, so my summer will be fun regardless if I am in school or not” Charles said. “Everything is all about time management. It’s a great opportunity to meet professors and get ahead with your studies.”

Shannon Phillips can be reached at shannon.phillips@temple.edu.