Sources: Dunphy to be introduced next week as Temple coach

Although Director of Athletics Bill Bradshaw denies making an official offer, it appears that University of Pennsylvania coach Fran Dunphy is ready to be introduced as Temple’s next men’s basketball coach. Multiple sources indicated Thursday

Although Director of Athletics Bill Bradshaw denies making an official offer, it appears that University of Pennsylvania coach Fran Dunphy is ready to be introduced as Temple’s next men’s basketball coach.

Multiple sources indicated Thursday that Dunphy received the job offer on Wednesday.

According to the same sources, Dunphy is expected to accept the position, and an official announcement could be made as early as Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Reports published during Bradshaw’s search have said Dunphy is the leading candidate.

The Temple News was not immediately able to reach Bradshaw for comment Thursday. But late Thursday afternoon, however, Bradshaw issued a statement to The Temple News, which conflicted with what sources had said earlier that day.

“I will not comment on the specifics of the ongoing search for the next Temple head men’s basketball coach, but I can state emphatically that no candidate has been offered the position at this time,” Bradshaw said.

In an interview with Comcast SportsNet Thursday evening, Dunphy, who has been mum during Temple’s search, contradicted reports that said he had been offered the position at Temple.

It is unknown how many times Dunphy and Bradshaw have met over the course of the search, which is in its third week. But it is confirmed that both parties have met at least once for an official interview, and it is still believed that Dunphy is at the top of Bradshaw’s coaching wish list.

Dunphy was believed to be on Temple’s campus on Tuesday of this week, in addition to Manhattan College coach Bobby Gonzalez.

A La Salle University graduate and former Explorers assistant, Dunphy has won 10 Ivy League Championships during his 17 seasons at Penn. The Quakers have made nine NCAA Tournament appearances and posted a 1-9 record in the postseason tourney under Dunphy.

Dunphy received substantial consideration and a job offer from La Salle two years ago, when its head coaching position was vacant. Though he spurned his alma mater, Dunphy is not expected to turn down Temple, sources say.

Newly retired men’s basketball coach John Chaney asked the university to consider three candidates as his replacement: former top Temple assistant Dean Demopoulos, current assistant Dan Leibovitz and former Owls point guard Rick Brunson, who currently plays in the NBA.

Bradshaw is also believed to have interviewed former University of Southern California coach and current 76ers assistant Henry Bibby and Drexel University coach Bruiser Flint.

Christopher A. Vito can be reached at christopher.vito@temple.edu.