Spiritual rock based album creates new sound

The launch pad is set, the cameras are ready and now people are anxiously awaiting the take off. No, this isn’t a rocket ship set to go to Mars, but the career of the band

The launch pad is set, the cameras are ready and now people are anxiously awaiting the take off. No, this isn’t a rocket ship set to go to Mars, but the career of the band Lacuna Coil about to take off into mainstream success.

The band made its presence known back in 2002 with the release of its album Comalies. The album set Lacuna Coil on track for big time achievement and led to tours with P.O.D, Opeth and even a spot on the second stage of Ozzfest.

After years of heavy touring, the band is on the verge of releasing its highly acclaimed album Karmacode and is the midst of a state-wide tour with Rob Zombie, stopping at the Electric Factory on March 30. The bands’ lead front woman Cristina Scabbia, who was recently named hottest woman in heavy metal by Revolver Magazine, took the time to tell us about the new album and the tour with Rob Zombie.

“[Karmacode] is not like a concept album in the way that you can listen to any song separately and get an idea anywhere,” Scabbia said about Karmacode, which hits stores April 4. “Every song has its own life. Since the beginning, when we started with songwriting we were just focused on a few songs only and we[‘d] work on them, being totally devoted to them. It is not like we are writing a hundred songs and then we are trying to pick out the best.”

Four years have passed since the release of its last album and fans are curious whether the Lacuna Coil experience will remain the same with the new album.

“This album changed in the way that it is the next natural step of Lacuna Coil,” Scabbia said. “Having so many experiences and influences in these years we tried to squeeze them all in this album, but still keep the same style we had before. So the roots are still Lacuna Coil and are still strongly European, but at the same time we added some new elements that are coming from America.

“Like we gave the importance this time to every single instrument and everything is much bigger and it’s like a punch in the face,” Scabbia added. “We had more time to record the album, we had more time to mix it and we took care of every detail. It is the most complete work we could have done.”

The album is spiritually-based, where the band aims at relating to a person’s everyday life and beliefs.

“It was pretty weird because if you have faith and believe in something, you don’t really need to explain it through mathematical formulas. So this gave us the idea to work with this kind of contrast, something more spiritual that’s not intended by any specific religion, but more intended as an inner search or the relationship you can have with the people surrounding you,” Scabbia said.

Success seems inevitable for this Italian metal act and the new album Karmacode could be the blast off they have been waiting for.

Dan Cappello can be reached at dancaps@temple.edu.