Splurge for once

Stephen Starr is known for his restaurant empire in Philadelphia, which provides delicious food and remarkable atmospheres. Starr’s latest effort, Angelina is no different. Located next to Jones at 706 Chestnut Street, Angelina provides an

Stephen Starr is known for his restaurant empire in Philadelphia, which provides delicious food and remarkable atmospheres. Starr’s latest effort, Angelina is no different.

Located next to Jones at 706 Chestnut Street, Angelina provides an authentic menu representing the different regions of Italy.

Angelina is not the place to go for massive portions of spaghetti and meatballs. Remember, Italian food is all about quality, not quantity.

For those who prefer the latter stick with quasi-Italian restaurants such as the Olive Garden or Buca di Beppo.

For those who appreciate a skillfully prepared meal with fresh ingredients, Angelina is the place to go.

Although dinner can be on the expensive side, the lunch menu has scaled-down portions and prices. The twenty items include soups, panini, antipasti, salads and pasta.

The caprese is a salad of sliced golden and red tomatoes, buttery mozzarella, fresh basil and a balsamic vinaigrette that brings out the intense flavors of each ingredient.

The perfectly shaped cappelletti, which means “little hat,” are filled with ricotta, goat and parmesan cheese. The dish is topped with cream sauce, sprinkled with pine nuts and flavored with sage.

No one can resist a dessert from a Stephen Starr restaurant. In fact one could visit a Starr restaurant for dessert alone. For a rustic autumn dessert, try the raspberry and fig crostata.

The tart-like dessert is warm and topped with honey, mascarpone ice cream and floats gently on a smooth caramel sauce.

With its dimmed magenta lights and pink toile upholstery, Angelina has proved to be a cozy and romantic treat.

Amber Fairweather can be reached at amber@temple.edu