Sports Rewind

MEN’S SOCCER: Freshman Matt Maher scored the lone goal in a 1-0 upset over 22nd-ranked Duquesne last Saturday. Maher earned Atlantic Ten Rookie of the Week honors as the Owls (9-2-2, 5-0-1) continued their torrid

MEN’S SOCCER: Freshman Matt Maher scored the lone goal in a 1-0 upset over 22nd-ranked Duquesne last Saturday. Maher earned Atlantic Ten Rookie of the Week honors as the Owls (9-2-2, 5-0-1) continued their torrid pace and overtook first place in the A-10. At this point last year in the season the Owls were struggling at 5-10. The Owls are currently on a five-game winning streak and have shutout their last three opponents. As a team the Owls are yielding a conference-low 0.62 goals per game and senior goalkeeper Patrick Hannigan leads the league with six shutouts. Temple plays its final two home games this weekend at Temple Stadium; Friday against Richmond and Sunday against George Washington.

GOLF: The golf team finished fourth overall and first among Philadelphia schools in the Big 5 Classic, last weekend at the Philadelphia Cricket Club. The Owls shot a two-round score of 611 on the 6,843-yard course to finish ahead of inner-city foes Drexel (5th, 613), Penn (6th, 616), Saint Joseph’s (T-7th, 624), Villanova (11th, 631) and La Salle (12th, 672). Junior Patrick O’Neill led the Owls and finished tied for ninth with a two-round, 10-over 152 (76-76). Freshman Logan Terry and senior Matt Roberts finished tied for 14th place. Temple returns to the links October 27-28, as the Owls host the annual John MacDonald Classic at Galloway (N.J.) National Golf Club.

WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL: Xu Yun earned Atlantic Ten Volleyball Player of the Week leading the Owls to two victories this past weekend. Yun, last year’s A-10 Player of the Year, recorded two double-doubles, totaling 34 kills and 30 digs for the week. It was Yun’s first Player of the Week award this season. The Owls (9-7, 6-1) find themselves in second place with their next match against La Salle at McGonigle Hall, Oct. 28.

WOMEN’S TENNIS: Temple dominated at the Old Point National Bank ITA Invitational hosted by Old Dominion University. The Owls walked away with two singles championships and one doubles crown. In addition, they made it to the finals in one other singles and doubles event.

Freshman Ana Maslesa captured the A-2 singles title and then paired with 2003 A-10 Player of the Year junior Danira Penic to win the A-2 doubles championship. Maslesa had her toughest match in the semifinal round on Sunday, defeating Virginia’s Kristen James, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (5). She also had a close encounter in her quarterfinal match with Richmond’s Lindsay Cox, winning 7-5, 6-4. In doubles, the Owls duo ousted Winthrop, 8-5, for the title.

Freshman Laura Sieverling had an easier time in winning her D-2 title. The Owls’ standout defeated North Carolina State’s Taylor Parker, 6-0, 6-1, in the finals. At C-1 singles, Jennifer Goeta won two three-set matches to reach her final before succumbing to North Carolina State’s Agustina Arechevaleta, 6-2, 6-1.

WOMEN’S SOCCER: Temple continue to slump after dropping a 2-1 decision to Duquesne. The Owls (3-11-1) have managed just three goals during a nine-game stretch in which they went just 1-7-1. Temple hits the road this weekend with games at George Washington and Richmond.