Sports Rewind

Football: The Owls continue to flounder after falling to Rutgers 30-14 last Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field. The loss gave Temple the dubious honor of being the first Big East opponent to lose to the

Football: The Owls continue to flounder after falling to Rutgers 30-14 last Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field. The loss gave Temple the dubious honor of being the first Big East opponent to lose to the Scarlet Knights in 25 conference games. The Owls are off this week and resume play on the road at Syracuse. With two tough road games and two at home against Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh, who are both nationally ranked, the Owls could be looking at a one-win season. The last time they managed just one win in a season was 1996. Starting quarterback Mike McGann had to leave last week’s game late in the second quarter when he suffered a hyper-extended elbow on his throwing arm. Temple coach Bobby Wallace said McGann will probably be out for the Syracuse game, depending on the progress of his elbow. If McGann is unable to go, sophomore Walter Washington will get his first career start.

Golf: Temple finished third in the John MacDonald Golf Classic at Galloway National Golf Club, which the Owls hosted. Temple finished nine strokes behind winners Loyola University. It was the second consecutive year the Owls finished third place with a total score of 623. The Owls entered the second round in fourth place, trailing city rival Penn by one stroke. Temple shot a 308 on Tuesday to overtake the Quakers, as the Ivy Leaguers posted a 318 team score.

Billy Mullen had the Owls’ top individual performance tied for fifth place, shooting a 153 (76-77). Other Owl competitors included Pat O’Neill (T-10th) Logan Terry (T-13th) Matt Roberts (T-21st) and James Chan (T-34th).

Weather on the second day of competition resembled that of day one, as wind, soggy turf and overcast skies increased the difficulty of the already challenging par 71, 6,374-yard course.

Field Hockey: The Atlantic Ten Conference is becoming quite familiar with Monica Jiao. For the fourth time this season the Owls’ redshirt freshman was named A-10 Conference Rookie of the Week. Jiao had two huge goals in two games this past week. Last Friday she scored the game-tying goal in a 2-1 overtime loss to 13th ranked Richmond and recorded the game-winning goal in the Owls’ 3-1 win over Georgetown on Sunday. Jiao also won the rookie award for the weeks of Sept.9, Sept. 22 and Oct 6.

This season Jiao has appeared in 18 games with five starts, scoring a team-high six goals, and is tied for team lead with four assists and two game-winning goals, while ranking second on the team with 16 points. Temple (10-8, 4-1 A-10) has clinched one of the four spots in the A-10 Conference Championships. Five of the Owls’ eight losses have been to teams in the Top 15 and 15 of their 18 games have been decided by one goal. The Owls will host A-10 foe Saint Joseph’s in their season finale on Saturday at noon.