SPORTS REWIND

Ice Hockey Temple’s ice hockey club beat St. Joseph’s in the second game of a best-of-three series last Saturday to capture its second-consecutive Delaware Valley Collegiate Hockey Conference championship. The No. 2 seeded Owls upset

Ice Hockey

Temple’s ice hockey club beat St. Joseph’s in the second game of a best-of-three series last Saturday to capture its second-consecutive Delaware Valley Collegiate Hockey Conference championship.
The No. 2 seeded Owls upset the top-seeded Hawks 6-3 in Game 1 and 6-5 in double overtime of Game 2. St Joseph’s jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first period of the title game and put the Owls in a bigger hole when it scored two power-play goals in the second to go ahead, 4-2.
But a power-play goal late in the third cut the Hawks lead to 4-3, then with two minutes remaining, Temple’s Mitch LaFleur scored to tie the game, 4-4. Another quick goal by St. Joe’s put the Hawks up, 5-4, but with their goaltender pulled, the Owls’ Jeff Pelus came up big, scoring with 35 seconds left to tie the game, 5-5, and force overtime.
Temple won the game on a shot by captain Shawn Lynch just 35 seconds into the second overtime.

Men’s Gymnastics

Junior David Ramos and senior Theodore Maes combined for three first place finishes on Sunday as the Temple men’s gymnastics team defeated the University of Illinois at Chicago 212.725-211.375. Ramos took first on both pommel horse and high bar and finished second overall in the all-around competition. He also nabbed second on parallel bars. Maes took first on vault and third on floor exercise. The men’s gymnastics team will finish the regular season March 13 in Annapolis, Md.

Women’s Gymnastics

Senior Paige Ozaroski paced the women’s gymnastics team to a third place finish on Saturday in a quad meet featuring host Rutgers, Maryland and Bridgeport. Temple tallied a 192. 425 score. The Scarlet Knights won the meet with a score of 195. 100.
Ozaroski earned the Owls only first place finish on the balance beam with a 9.90 score, tying a personal best.