Sports Rewind: Basketball, Football, Soccer

FOOTBALL Senior linebacker Walter Mebane was selected as one of five candidates eligible for the “USA Today” National Player of the Week. Mebane helped the Owls defeat Bowling Green, 28-14, Saturday by posting a career-

FOOTBALL

Senior linebacker Walter Mebane was selected as one of five candidates eligible for the “USA Today” National Player of the Week. Mebane helped the Owls defeat Bowling
Green, 28-14, Saturday by posting a career-
high 15 tackles and forcing a fumble.Temple was named the runner-up for the Tostitos Bowl National Team of the Week by the Football Writers Association of America. Oregon, which handed Southern California its first loss of the season, took home the award.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

The Owls were predicted to finish ninth in the 14-team Atlantic Ten Conference this season in a poll conducted by coaches and writers. Freshman guard Luis Guzman was selected to the Preseason All-Rookie team.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

George Washington edged out Temple in a preseason predictions poll conducted by coaches and media. Senior forward Kamesha Hairston was selected to the A-10 Preseason First Team and All-Defensive Team.

MEN’S SOCCER

Senior Ryan Heins and sophomore James Suevo each scored goals Sunday against Saint Bonaventure to snap the Owls’ four-game scoreless streak. The Owls, however,
couldn’t overcome Bonnies senior Kevin Omokhua’s hat trick, resulting in a 3-2 loss that ends the Owls season. Temple finished with a 2-14-1 overall record and a 1-8 mark in conference play.