Sports Rewind for 1/22

Football In December, football coach Al Golden pulled himself out of consideration for the head coaching position at UCLA. November marked the end of Golden’s second season with the Owls. The Owls went 4-8 in

Football

In December, football coach Al Golden pulled himself out of consideration for the head coaching position at UCLA.

November marked the end of Golden’s second season with the Owls. The Owls went 4-8 in the 2007 season, much more promising than Golden’s first season, when the team finished 1-11.

Last month, the Philadelphia Inquirer quoted Temple Athletic Director Bill Bradshaw.

“We knew when we hired Al Golden to be Temple’s head football coach that he would achieve the kind of success that would draw attention from other schools,” Bradshaw said in the statement. “There are great seasons ahead for Temple football, and we are happy coach Golden has chosen to remain with our program for some time to come.”

Women’s Gymnastics

The Owls opened their season with a fifth-place finish this weekend at the George Washington Invitational in Washington D.C. Temple finished with a final score of 184.900. Invitational winner North Carolina finished with a 193.575.

Temple boasted two third-place finishes at the meet. Freshmen Katie Canning finished on the balance beam with a score of 9.625. Sophomore Danielle Viens finished on the uneven parallel bars with a 9.750.

The Owls will next travel to Ursinus on Friday.

Fencing

The Owls played host to the 2008 Philadelphia Invitational on Jan. 13 at the Temple Pavilion. The Owls defeated Johns Hopkins, Duke, Sacred Heart and Drew, but fell to Penn and Northwestern. Both Penn and Northwestern finished in the top 10 of the final rankings in 2007.

Led by senior captain Marla Nacey, the epee squad won five of their six matches. Nacey was 10-0 that day. Junior Kaitlyn Uckert went 11-1.

Against Johns Hopkins, the sabre squad went undefeated.

The Owls will travel to State College on Saturday for the Penn State Multi-Meet.

Track and Field

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in the Gotham Cup at the New York City Armory on Friday.

Three members of the men’s team met IC4A standards. Sophomore Tim Boeni finished second in the long jump. Senior Marquise Stancil and sophomore David Stonfer both hit the mark in the 500m.

On the women’s team, junior Amanda Cole broke her personal school record in the weight throw, 52-2 ½. Cole was one of three Owls to win their event at the Gotham Cup. Freshman Paris Williams won the 500m. Williams, junior Carlleen Allison, senior Cheryl Anscombe and freshman Shadaya Bennett won the 4×400 relay.

Both teams will travel back to the Armory on Friday to compete in the Great Dane Classic.