Home winning streak ends at four for women’s soccer

Six players recorded points and three players score their first goals of the season for Cincinnati in their 3-0 win against Temple on Sunday at the Temple Sports Complex.

Bearcats freshman midfielder and forward Sophie Gorman (left) collides with two players near the goal in Cincinnati's 3-0 win on Sunday at the Temple Sports Complex. | JAMIE COTTRELL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Six different players recorded points for Cincinnati in its 3-0 win against Temple on Sunday at the Temple Sports Complex.

Temple (5-5-1, 1-1 American Athletic Conference) had its streak of four consecutive wins in home matches broken. The Owls couldn’t successfully follow up their win in their conference opener against East Carolina on Thursday and haven’t won back-to-back games since Aug. 31 and Sept. 3.

Cincinnati (9-1-2, 3-0-1 American Athletic Conference), which received 31 votes in Tuesday’s United Soccer Coaches poll and was ranked 12th in the Sept. 24 Ratings Percentage Index, extended its winning streak to three games and hasn’t lost a game since Sept. 14 against Louisiana State University.

Redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Claudia Eustaquio made three saves on Sunday to help the Bearcats recorded their fourth shutout in a row. Their 0.42 goals allowed per game is the least in The American.

Bearcats freshman defender Kiki Lowell, junior forward Jordan Cotleur and freshman forward Lexi Kolano each scored their first goals of the season. Lowell opened the scoring in the 26th minute, Cotleur scored in the 55th minute and Kolano scored in the 76th.

Temple sophomore goalkeeper Morgan Basileo matched her career-high with six saves. The Bearcats’ three-goal output marked their most productive regular-season game since Sept. 18, 2016 against Youngstown State University and was the first time Basileo allowed more than one goal in her seven starts.

Temple will play its first conference road match on Thursday against Memphis, which is one point ahead of the Owls in The American. The Tigers are six points behind Cincinnati and Central Florida, which are tied for first with 10 points. Memphis received the most first-place votes in the league’s preseason poll.