Lee drawing interest from many teams

The redshirt-junior forward will transfer for his final year of eligibility.

Redshirt-junior forward Anthony Lee (center) said he wants to play closer to his family. // HUA ZONG // TTN

Anthony Lee listed eight frontrunners for his services next year, as the redshirt-junior forward has decided to transfer for his final season of eligibility.

Lee said Louisville, Indiana, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Florida and Florida State all have reached out to him and he is interested in all of them. He said that other schools have expressed interest and he has been inundated with calls since the news he was transferring broke on Tuesday morning. Since Lee is set to graduate in May, he will be eligible to play immediately at his new school.

Lee said he first seriously considered transferring between one and two weeks ago. Despite the recent decision, he doesn’t think he’ll end up regretting the decision to transfer.

“I’ve really got an opportunity,” Lee said. “I’ve been here for four years, played here three years, been able to do what I’ve done here, built up that resume. I feel like now I might be in a position to where schools might be intrigued by me.”

Lee said he thinks he can play at the next level and wants to go to a program that can better fulfill that. He said there were no issues with the coaches or the players at Temple. He said he thinks he can go somewhere else where he can be more successful and expand his game.

“[I want to] make myself more of a product for the next level,” Lee said. “I know I have the abilities. I just have to be in a place where it’s going to allow me to do that.”

He said he wants to go somewhere where his family can come see him play, ideally in a place where they can drive to his home games. Lee’s family recently moved to Iowa. The only schools he listed as frontrunners that aren’t within that distance are Florida and Florida State. Lee went to high school in Florida, so the area isn’t foreign to him.

Lee cannot enroll in a graduate program that is also offered at Temple. He said he isn’t sure what he wants to study in graduate school and that academics weren’t a factor in his decision. He said he is going to take his time and make a decision based on what is good for him.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.