Matthews an alternate in U.S. Open

Temple star narrowly misses cut to participate in this year’s locally held tournament.

Sophomore Brandon Matthews qualifies as an alternate for the U.S. Open.
Temple sophomore Brandon Matthews was selected last week as an alternate for the 113th United States Open, which is currently taking place at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa., ten miles west of campus.

Matthews had a freshman campaign that impressed many throughout the collegiate golf spectrum during the 2012–13 season. Last fall, Matthews claimed the Philadelphia Big Five Invitational by a single stroke, and then propelled himself even further up the ladder this past spring, finishing in the top 10 in 11 of 12 events. Matthews was later named to the Atlantic 10 All Conference Team and the Ping Division I All-Region Team, in addition to being honored as the A-10 Rookie of the Year.

On June 3, Matthews competed in the U.S. Open Sectional Qualifier at the Century Country Club and Old Oaks Country Club in Purchase, N.Y. with four spots in the 156 player U.S. Open field on the line.

During holes six through 10, Matthews collected two birdies, an eagle and a par to shoot up the leaderboard. After nailing a chip shot on the 18th hole, Matthews was in sole possession of fourth place.

“Before I hit that shot the officials told me, ‘You’re in fourth place alone, there’s four open spots,’” Matthews said. “At that point I made that shot and all that was on my mind was, ‘I’m in the U.S. Open.’ Obviously the celebration was insane after I made the shot. For 20 minutes a dream was a reality.”

That dream was a reality until Gavin Hall, who was playing right behind Matthews, birdied the last four holes to overtake fourth place and bounce Matthews out of the top four.

“I wasn’t disappointed at all,” Matthews said. “I was very thrilled with what I’d done and how far I made it and how well I competed against these guys.”

The prospective of playing in the 2013 U.S. Open as a local kid wasn’t fully put to rest though, because shortly after his round concluded, Matthews was chosen as an alternate for the tournament. The role allowed Matthews the chance to chip, putt and hit balls at the driving range alongside some of the best ranked golfers in the world at Merion Golf Club.

“It’s indescribable,” Matthews said. “You can’t really put it into words. It’s a very, very special experience and I’m really blessed to have this opportunity.”

Although he wasn’t able to play Merion’s course this week, for Matthews, his involvement as an alternate was still a milestone in his still very young career.

“To know I can compete with these guys is something that is pretty cool and it gives me a lot of confidence moving forward.”

Chase Senior can be reached at chase.senior@temple.edu or on Twitter @Chase_Senior.