Men’s tennis shuts out St. Francis Brooklyn

Led by straight-set wins by three singles players, the Owls defeated St. Francis Brooklyn College 7-0 on Saturday at Legacy Tennis Center.

Led behind three shutouts in singles play by senior Ian Glessing, junior Filip Stipcic and freshman Artem Kapshuk, the Owls defeated St. Francis Brooklyn College 7-0  on Saturday at the Legacy Tennis Center.

This is the second shutout performance by the Owls in 2016.The Owls advanced to 5-1 this season, and they are now undefeated (3-0) at home.

“I was really impressed with some of the straight wins we had from Artem Kapshuk, Filip Stipcic and Ian Glessing, I think that really helped us,” Mauro said.

One key player this season has been senior Nicolas Paulus, whom Mauro said, “is among the five seniors who want to finish the season strong.” He finished his flight 6-3,6-4 over Martin Bedecarratz.

Senior Santiago Canete returned from a wrist injury and picked up a 6-2,6-3 win against Milo Vukicevic.

In doubles play, the freshmen duo of Uladzimir Dorash and Florian Mayer swept the first flight against Zurab Tskhakaia and Milos Vukicevic, 8-0.

“The team prepared very well, and we continue to focus on a conference title appearance,” coach Mauro said.

In second flight doubles, junior Vineet Naran and senior Hicham Belkssir defeated  Bedecarratz and Sacha Singh, 8-4, to finish the shutout against St. Francis Brooklyn.

Luis Miguel Cabrera can be reached at tuf51885@temple.edu.