Morris fuels Owls’ upset of Purdue

Ashley Morris continued her transformation from back-up point guard to scoring threat. The senior, who failed to consistently crack the starting lineup until this season, scored a game-high 19 points and four assists to lead

Ashley Morris continued her transformation from back-up point guard to scoring threat.

The senior, who failed to consistently crack the starting lineup until this season, scored a game-high 19 points and four assists to lead the women’s basketball team to a 61-47 upset of No. 22 Purdue Saturday at the Paradise Jam.

The Owls (2-3) topped a ranked opponent for the first time since they bested No. 9 Rutgers during the 2005-06 season. Overall, it was the 10th time they’ve beaten a ranked team.

Morris was the only Owl to reach double-digit scoring. LaKeisha Eaddy chipped in with nine points. Shenita Landry recorded eight points and notched eight rebounds. Shanea Cotton came off the bench to reel in eight boards.

Lady Comfort battled foul trouble and finished with just five points and six rebounds.

The Owls established the early lead, starting the game on a 7-2 run. They shot 45.8 percent during the first half to establish a 31-23 halftime lead.

The Owls cooled off in the second half, hitting their last field goal with 8:30 remaining. But they sunk their last 11 free throws to beat the Boilermakers (2-2).

The Owls take on No. 4 Stanford Sunday at 6 p.m. in the third place game.

John Kopp can be reached at john.kopp@temple.edu.