Never backing down

Owls make bouncing back from win streaks their goal.

Once enough of it is built up, momentum can carry a force through whatever objects might be in its way. The Owls (4-5) added to their momentum by beating Colgate 7-3.

Now with dominant wins in their last two home games, the Owls (4-5) are looking to build on their recent success and carry that momentum on the road.

“We knew coming off of the Drexel game that we already had such a high that we wanted to keep it rolling,” sophomore forward Amber Youtz said.

Youtz, who scored her first career hat trick Saturday,said it’s important for the team’s confidence to be high as they move into a portion of their schedule where they play three consecutive away games.

“In previous years we weren’t able to bounce back from a losing streak and that was one of our goals this year, to keep going and to bounce back strong from them,” Youtz said.

Following three losses at home, the Owls received strong offensive performances in back-to-back games by Youtz. The sophomore notched 9 points in those games and leads the A-10 conference in that category.

Sophomore goalkeeper Lizzy Millen echoed the importance of team confidence heading out on the road.

“We did have a few small losing streaks so it’s important to get team morale back together,” Millen said.

She said working hard is equally important.

“Nothing is going to be given to us,” Millen said.

The team faces a quick turnaround as they will play their second game in 24 hours, traveling to Lewisberg, Pa. take on Bucknell. (5-4)

Head Coach Amanda Janney said despite the short break, a win versus a Bucknell team boasting a 4-2 home record would be huge.

“If we can come out and play strong that’ll be big for us,” she said.

“These are the kind of games that can be tough. But if we can get a win it’ll be huge going into our next two games,” she said.

The Owls will play Bucknell Sunday at 2 p.m. before traveling to Farmville, Va. to take on the 2-8 Longwood University Lancers on Friday.

The road trip comes to a close Sunday, September 28 when the Owls will square off against No. 4 Maryland in College Park.

-Joe Dolinsky