New lineup gets experience

Crew entered one boat in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta.

On Saturday, crew entered one boat in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta.

The six rowers in the boat were sophomores Hunter Devine, John Monaghan, Ryan Dartnell, Nick Matousch, junior Vince Dipentino and freshmen Kyle Powell.

The team finished 24th in their race, but their placement could have been higher had it not been for a one-minute penalty for a traffic pattern violation.

“We weren’t really expecting too much,” Devine said. “It was one of the early races in the season. We went out there and executed our plan pretty well.”

That said, Devine emphasized that the team chemistry aspect of working with a new lineup only comes with time and additional training.

For the first time,  Matousch felt good in the boat with the new lineup.

“It felt powerful,” Matousch said.

Having the first race together at the Schuylkill made it easier to get started given that the Owls are so experienced with competing there.

“We know where we have to put power on, and especially we know where we have to turn so it’s easier when it’s the home course because you just know every little bit,” Matousch said.

Coach Gavin White said he sensed progress citing the penalty as a reason they were unable to finish higher.

“I was very pleased,” White said. “They haven’t had that many days this week to really race together.”

White said afterwards he talked to the team and wanted to get a sense for how the boat felt.

“They felt good about it and I think Hunter and the guys are really looking strong,” White said.

The most important thing, in White’s opinion, is for the athletes to continue to grow and move in the right direction as a unit is to maintain a high work ethic.

“Just keep up and keep working hard that’s all you can do, nose to the grindstone,” White said.

The Owls will return to action on Sunday in the Princeton Chase in Princeton, N.J.

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu or on Twitter @illbFRANKwithu.