Owls drop third straight

Team now 5-4 after starting season 5-1.

Delaware sophomore midfielder Caitlin McCartney netted six goals to help the Blue Hens defeat the Temple Owls, 15-11, on Wednesday in Newark, Delaware.

Temple (5-4) continue to struggle on the road, dropping its third straight game and losing four of the last five games. Delaware (6-3) continues its winning streak and now has its third consecutive victory.

“Each game’s score hasn’t reflected it but we’ve made gains on the offense and the defense,” senior defender Nina Falcone said. “There’s definitely been parts where we’ve stepped up our play, but it just doesn’t show for it in the end.”

Parcell recorded a team-high four goals and three assists for the Owls. Attackers junior Jaymie Tabor and freshman Megan Pinkerton found the net for two goals apiece. Three scores were also added by the combination of senior midfielder Charlotte Swavola and freshman midfielders Nicole and Megan Tiernan.

The Tiernan twins led the team with seven total draw controls, with Nicole recording the team-high of five. Their draw control total accounted for more than half of the team total.

Senior goalie Meghan Clothier started and played the first half of the game, but was replaced by redshirt freshman Jaqi Kakalecik midway through the second period. The Owl goalkeeping collected six total saves.

In addition to McCartney’s six goal performance, junior attacker Chelsea Fay recorded a hat trick and freshman attacker Lauren VanDaniker scored twice. McCartney’s game-high six draw controls also helped the Blue Hens in ending the game with a 16-11 advantage in that category.

“We weren’t getting the draw. Defensively, they were streaking through and I think that was something we were getting caught on,” Parcell said.

For her sixth win of the season, sophomore goalie Alex Zaugra recorded seven saves in 60 minutes in between the bars.

After Parcell and junior attack Abbie Hartman exchanged goals, the Blue Hens ripped off four consecutive goals to put Delaware ahead 5-1.

Nicole and Megan Tiernan both responded with goals and began an unaswered run of four goals, which would knot the game at 5-5, going into halftime. During the run, the Temple defense stifled the Delaware attack, holding them scoreless, after their initial offensive success.

The Owl’s momentum was short-lived, with the second period bringing another large scoring run by the Blue Hens. Delaware started the second period with a streak of six consecutive goals.

“The beginning of the second half mirrored the beginning of the first half. It certainly came down to draw control and allowing scoring opportunities,” Rosen said.

Tabor answered the six-goal run with back to back goals, but the Blue Hens continued to score. Tabor’s goals were answered by a couple Delaware goals, and a Parcell goal was negated by another two Delaware goals.

After 26 minutes elapsed in the second period, the Blue Hens had outscored the Owls 10-3.

Late in the second period, Temple scored three straight goals to close the gap, but didn’t have enough time to surmount the large deficit.

“We were down, came back, but couldn’t finish it off today,” Parcell said.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.