Temple finishes 16th at Paul Short run

Temple finished 16th out of 27 teams Friday at the Paul Short Run at Lehigh University.

Battling the affects of Hurricane Joaquin Friday morning, Seniors Alex Izewski and Alex Kacyon helped the Owls finish 16th out of 27 teams at the Paul Short Run at Lehigh University.

“This morning had pretty good conditions for the sport of cross country,” Kacyon said. “Overall we had a light rain for our race. I enjoyed today’s overall conditions of the course. Everyone is running the same course with the same weather so it is equal.”

Navigating the slippery course, Kacyon finished 19th out of 278 runners in the Men’s Gold 8K, one second behind teammate Alex Izewski, who posted a time of 24 minutes, 30 seconds to finish 18th.

“It is definitely exciting,” Kacyon said. “This morning was another stepping stone toward Regionals and toward that goal of qualifying for NCAA [Championships].”

The Owls 16th place finish was their highest finish ever at the Paul Short Run, topping their 19th place finish in 2012.

Junior Stephan Listabarth finished in 98th place in the Men’s Gold 8K  with a time of 25:28. The other four Owls competing in the race finished within the Top 175.

Junior Praneeth Gottipati and redshirt sophomore Jeffrey Craskey finished 89th and 163rd in the Men’s Open 8K Race.

“We have our own training groups and we know who we’re running with and who runs similar times,” Kacyon said. “If we push each other in races and workouts, that should be enough motivation for everyone to feed off of.”

Evan Easterling can be reached at evan.easterling@temple.edu