Owls win first event of spring

The women’s tennis team defeated East Carolina 4-3 on Friday morning at Legacy Tennis Center.

The women’s tennis team took to the court for its first event of the spring season on Friday morning, defeating East Carolina 4-3 at Legacy Tennis Center.

“I think that it being so early in the season the girls came out and got the job done,” coach Steve Mauro said. “It was a great overall performance, especially against a tough conference opponent.”

In doubles actions, East Carolina won the first match 6-4 against junior Anais Nussaume and sophomore Alina Abdurakhimova.

In the second matchup, the Owls’ tandem of juniors Mariana Bedon and Dina Karina came out on top to give Temple its first points, winning their match 7-5

Senior Minami Okajima and sophomore Yana Khon won the third flight 6-3. 

“It’s always good to get the doubles points because it gets the momentum going,” Mauro said.

In singles play, Abdurakhimova defeated East Carolina’s Nicole LaDuca in the first match.

East Carolina controlled the next two matchups, giving the Pirates a 2-1 advantage.

The Owls’ took the next two matches on performances by Khon and Karina. In the last matchup, East Carolina’s Sarah Sarjoo defeated Bedon in three sets.

Mauro said he has seen major improvements in his team and in his players since the start of the season, including Okajima. 

Minami Okajima really stepped up today, she lost her first match, but she played in the number three position,” Mauro said. “She played well, it was a very tight match it could have gone either way. We’re happy how she stepped up her game.”

Zach Bailey can be reached at zachary.bailey@temple.edu