Seifert readies for life after college, whether on gridiron or under water

Temple honored every student-athlete owning a grade point average of 3.0 or higher last Wednesday at the Fifth Annual Breakfast of Champions Awards Banquet. More than 200 student-athletes were in attendance, but there was one

Temple honored every student-athlete owning a grade point average of 3.0 or higher last Wednesday at the Fifth Annual Breakfast of Champions Awards Banquet. More than 200 student-athletes were in attendance, but there was one male athlete who rose above his counterparts.

Elliot Seifert was named Male Student-Athlete of the Year, an award given to the student-athlete who best demonstrates excellence in athletics, academics and community involvement.

“I was completely surprised,” Seifert said of the award. “I didn’t expect to win it with so many great student-athletes at Temple.”

Seifert, a four-year letter winner, has a lengthy list of accomplishments. He was a semi-finalist for the Draddy Award, which is annually awarded to the athlete with the best combination of academic and athletic success.

He won the Top Hog Award, given each year to the Owls’ top lineman. Seifert is also a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

Seifert said he is ready for success at the next level, with or without football. Seifert went undrafted this weekend in the NFL’s draft.He plans to receive his master’s degree in biology next spring and he said he would like to become a marine biologist when his college career concludes.

“I hope to finish my degree and get my doctorate and become a marine biologist, possibly in California,” Seifert said. “It’s something I was always interested in.”

Seifert spent a week in Ambergis Caye, Belize, conducting research for a tropical marine biology class.

“No player has given back more to the community,” coach Al Golden said in a statement read aloud at the banquet.Seifert has control of his life off the field, but he is as good as anyone on the field, too.

The offensive tackle fought through injuries early in his career to become a steady and dependable fixture on the offensive line for the Owls. He ended his career by making 34 consecutive starts at left tackle.

Seifert credited his success to an understanding of the balance of life.

“Preparing for my future was more difficult than preparing for a football game against a school like Miami,” Seifert said. “With football, the techniques are always there and we are always prepared. It is not always the case with school work.”

Seifert said he would like to see more student-athletes take such action.

“It is great to give back to the community
and go out and have a good time,” he said. “Everyone should get involved.”

Kenny Walter can be reached at kenneth.walter@temple.edu.