Softball loses mid-week doubleheader

The Owls lost by run-rule, then dropped a tightly-contested late game.

The Owls dropped both games of a non-conference doubleheader on Wednesday, losing to host team Stony Brook, 8-0 and 2-1.

Sophomore right-hander Kelsey Dominik struggled against the Seawolves hitters, giving up eight runs, seven earned, on nine hits. Dominik walked two, struck out two, hit a batter and threw a wild pitch.

Stony Brook opened the scoring with a two-run home run in the second inning. In the third, the Seawolves scored three runs on four hits.

Freshman catcher Kaylyn Zierke let a pitch from Dominik get by her in the fourth inning, and a run was scored on the passed ball.

Dominik held Stony Brook off the board in the fifth, but then the Seawolves scored two runs in the sixth to go up 8-0. The game ended there due to the eight-run mercy rule.

The Owls’ bats were dormant for nearly the entire game. Seawolves pitcher Allison Cukrov kept the Owls hitless through the first five innings. In the sixth, senior shortstop Sarah Prezioso singled to break up Cukrov’s no-hit bid. Prezioso stole second, and after a flyout, sophomore first baseman Leah Lucas singled to advance Prezioso to third. Dominik struck out looking, and then Zierke walked to load the bases. But sophomore center fielder Annie Marcopolus grounded out to shortstop to end the inning.

The second game was a closer affair. Senior third baseman Devynne Nelons hit her third home run of the season in the second inning to give the Owls a 1-0 lead.

But then Stony Brook rallied off freshman righty Amanda Gatt in the third inning. Nicole Schieferstein started the inning with a triple, and Jessica Combs doubled her home to tie the game. Combs advanced to third on a double. After a groundout, Combs scored on a sac fly, and the Seawolves took the 2-1 lead.

The Owls put runners on the corners in the fifth, but could not score. Neither team advanced a runner past second for the rest of the game.

Gatt took the loss, giving up two runs on six hits in six innings, while walking one and striking out five.

Jane Sallen, the Stony Brook starter, gave up one run on six hits. She walked one, hit one and struck out 10.

The Owls are now 15-22 on the season. The team has only played three home games all year.

Temple will play a three-game weekend series at conference opponent Louisville, with the first game coming on Saturday at noon.

Don McDermott can be reached at donald.mcdermott@temple.edu.