Stanford uses second-half run to beat Owls

The women’s basketball team raced out of the gate to a 19-point lead, but ultimately lost control in a 63-54 loss to No. 4 Stanford at the Paradise Jam Tournament Sunday. Senior guard Ashley Morris

The women’s basketball team raced out of the gate to a 19-point lead, but ultimately lost control in a 63-54 loss to No. 4 Stanford at the Paradise Jam Tournament Sunday.

Senior guard Ashley Morris netted 19 points and senior forward Lady Comfort added 14 points and nine rebounds. The Owls pounced on Stanford from the onset, taking five of the first six rebounds. The Owls scorched the nets for 39 first-half points on 56 percent shooting. Early foul trouble from a couple Cardinal players gave the Owls a 39-22 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.

The roles reversed in the second half as the Cardinal found its footing and overwhelmed the Owls with a 17-0 run. The Owls lost their shooting touch, going just 5 for 25 in the second half and not scoring in the period’s first seven minutes. The scoring hiatus left the Owls battling from behind to no avail.

The loss drops the Owls to 2-4 on the season, while the Cardinal improves to 5-1. The Owls return home Wednesday night when they host Mid-American Conference opponent Ball State.

Anthony Stipa can be reached at anthony.stipa@temple.edu.