Track competes in Danny Curran Invitational

Owls claim two first-place finishes.

While Temple men’s and women’s track & field sent roughly half of its team to the University of Texas for its annual Texas Relays, the other half took a short trip to Chester, Pa. Friday, competing in the Danny Curran Invitational at Widener University.

The men saw much of its success centered around its field event group, while the women found success in its sprint team as each group snared a first-place finish.

Senior Crystal Hercules, junior Shaneae Bailey, junior Gennie Depass and senior Dia Dorsey highlighted the Owls’ afternoon, taking the top spot in the women’s 4×100 relay with a mark of 48.16 seconds. Bailey had also won a silver medal in the 100-meter dash earlier in the day, taking first in her heat and second overall with a time of 12.51 seconds, and took seventh in the 200-meter dash at 26.30 seconds.

Dorsey led Temple in the 200 with a fourth-place, 26.22 performance. Depass and Hercules finished sixth and eighth overall in the 200m crossing with marks of 26.30 and 26.37 seconds, respectively.

Sophomore Jamileh Janneh highlighted the women’s field events with multiple performances, most notably an 11.11-meter triple jump that earned a bronze medal. Janneh also took third in the high jump with a mark of 1.57 meters and fourth-place with a 5.11-meter leap in the long jump to cap her afternoon.

Freshman Alexis Kennedy topped off the Owls’ field events with three performances, the first as the runner-up in the discus throw with a distance of 35.94 meters. She then turned in a third-place finish in the hammer throw with a toss of 37.73 meters, and snared fourth-place with an 11.39-meter toss in the shot put.

Sophomore jumper Derek Holland checked in with the Owls’ second and final gold medal, taking top marks in the triple jump with a leap of 13.71 meters.

Sophomore Justin Berg took silver in the hammer throw as the runner-up with a final spot of 52.20 meters.

Freshman Jamal Williams turned in a runner-up performance of his own, taking the silver in the long jump with a leap of 6.49 meters. Holland also added a 6.04 jump in the event, taking sixth.

Freshman Michael Deitzler also proved to be a field event highlight, taking fifth in the javelin throw with a toss of 58.58 meters as a freshman.

The most notable of running events for the men proved to be the 4×400 relay of junior Tyreece Clayton, sophomore Alex Izewski, freshman Nathan Emmanuel and Holland, which crossed at three minutes, 32.39 seconds and an eighth-place finish.

In addition to their two top finishes, the men’s and women’s teams combined for four second place finishes and three third place performances on the afternoon.

The Owls will compete as a whole unit next weekend as they will take part in Princeton’s Sam Howell Invitational Apr. 4-5.

Andrew Parent can be reached at andrew.parent@temple.edu or on twitter @daParent93.