Track competes in Texas Relays

Owls send 17 runners to national competition.

While the bulk of Temple’s track & field runners were sent to Widener University in Chester, Pa. this weekend for the Danny Curran invitational, some select runners took the trip to the University of Texas to compete in the University’s annual Texas Relays.

The event draws high schools and universities from all across the country to participate, and showcases some of the top collegiate track & field schools and runners on the national level.

Though Temple didn’t boast any top finishes, the Owls still did what they could against some of the best competition they will see this season.

Junior jumper Gabe Pickett represented the men’s field events, taking a 15.29-meter leap in the triple jump, good for sixth-place.

A sprint medley relay comprised of senior Damian Myers, junior Carlton Stafford, graduate-seniors Alan Harding and Will Montgomery placed 10th, crossing with a mark of three minutes, 28.85 seconds.

The women’s team sent 11 runners to Texas compared to the men’s six.

Senior hurdler Wilson Jade ran her way to a 1:03.03 finish in the 400-meter hurdles, finishing 42nd. Jade had also run the 100-meter hurdles earlier in the competition, finishing 60th with a time of 42.53 seconds.

Junior Ambrosia Iwugo, senior Tessa West, senior Sheina Roberts and freshman Demeshia Davis made up the 4×4 relay, and clocked in at 3:48.20, placing 31st.

Roberts also took part in the women’s 4×8 along with senior Tonney Smith, sophomore Jenna Dubrow and junior Anna Pavone. The team checked in at 9:19.79, good for an eighth-place finish.

Pavone, Smith and Dubrow also teamed up with Davis for the women’s distance medley relay, turning in a ninth-place finish at 11:54.24. Pavone and Dubrow also participated in the 1500-meter run, placing 22nd and 25th with times of 4:45.76 and 4:46.97, respectively, in Section B of the event.

Sophomore thrower Margo Britton tossed a 14.95-meter shot put throw, placing 9th in the women’s Section A.

Temple will get back together as a whole unit once again and participate in Princeton University’s Sam Howell invitational next weekend, Apr. 4-5.

Andrew Parent can be reached at andrew.parent@temple.edu or on twitter @daParent93.