Up Next: Miami (Ohio)

Following a Homecoming loss, Temple faces Miami (Ohio) next.

Game Time:
3:30 p.m.

Location:
Fred C. Yager Stadium (Oxford, Ohio)

Broadcast:
WPHT 1210 AM

Record:
1-3 overall (0-0 in the Mid-American Conference)

Last Game:
Lost at Cincinnati, 45-20, on Sept. 20

Last Meeting:
Lost at Temple, 24-17, on Oct. 20, 2007

All-Time Series:
1-1

Coach:
Shane Montgomery (fourth season, 16-24 overall)

2007 record:
6-7 (5-2 MAC). Lost to Central Michigan, 35-10, in MAC Championship Game.

Preseason Predicted Finish:
2nd in MAC East Division

Key Players:
QB Daniel Raudabaugh (Completed 64 percent of his passes for 731 yards and three touchdowns in last three games)
LB Joey Hudson (fourth in the MAC with 39 total tackles, five for losses)
RB Thomas Merriweather (Second in the MAC in rushing attempts with 74. Averages 3.5 yards per carry)

Background:
Coming off a bye week, the RedHawks will be well rested and eager to face Temple after suffering non-conference losses to No. 21 Vanderbilt, Michigan and Cincinnati in the early part of their schedule.

Both teams rank at the bottom of the conference in rushing, but unlike the Owls, the RedHawks have one primary back in Thomas Merriweather. The 5-foot-10, 203-pound sophomore, who scored three rushing touchdowns in a win over Charleston Southern, hasn’t rushed for more than 77 yards in a game so far this season, but he’s helped Miami control the clock. The RedHawks are third in the MAC in time of possession, holding the ball for just under 31-1/2 minutes per game.

However, the RedHawks most efficient offensive weapon is redshirt junior quarterback Daniel Raudabaugh, who has completed 58.9 percent of his 146 passing attempts for 975 yards and four touchdowns against five interceptions.

Look for the RedHawks to utilize the pass Saturday as they did in last year’s game against the Owls. In that meeting, Raudabaugh achieved career highs in nearly every passing category, completing 33 of 57 passing attempts for 314 yards and two touchdowns. He also threw two interceptions and was sacked four times.

That particular game, a 24-17 win for Temple, was marked by the season-ending injury to redshirt senior quarterback Adam DiMichele in the second quarter. DiMichele, who suffered a shoulder injury on Sept. 20 against Penn State, will not play at all against the RedHawks this time around. His replacement, redshirt freshman Chester Stewart, has yet to lead the offense into the endzone in his collegiate career, and the Owls haven’t scored a touchdown in their last two games.
The window may be open for Temple to score this Saturday.

Miami’s defense, anchored by senior linebacker Joey Hudson, has allowed 30 or more points in three of the team’s four games.

The RedHawks, who reached the MAC Championship game last season, return 24 starters from last year’s squad.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.