Women’s soccer tops Marist in overtime

Freshman defender Paula Jurewicz netted the winning goal for the Owls.

In an overtime thriller, the women’s soccer team picked up its third win of the season with a 1-0 victory at Marist on Sunday, Sept. 23.

Freshman defender Paula Jurewicz netted the winning goal for the Owls just seven minutes into the first overtime, also notching the first goal of her collegiate career in the 97th minute of the match.

“It felt great,” Jurewicz said. “It was one of the golden goals of my career.”

“We were able to finish an opportunity that we made for ourselves and score the goal,” coach Matt Gwilliam said. “We beat a really tough team today in Marist.”

Along with the win, the Owls recorded their fourth shutout of the season behind redshirt-senior goalkeeper Tara Murphy. After starting freshman goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff for the past five matches, the move to start Murphy was a move caused by the deep, competitive depth on the roster, Gwilliam said.

On the day, Murphy saved eight shots on eight shot attempts on goal. With the shutout, Murphy recorded her second shutout of the season and the seventh of her career at Temple.

“It felt good to be back in goal, but it was truly a team effort today,” Murphy said. “Coming off of a tough loss to Siena, it felt good to get the win today.”

In their past four matches, the Owls had failed to net a goal. Temple saw that streak, along with its streak of five straight winless away matches end Sunday with the overtime goal.

After falling to Siena 1-0 on Friday, Sept. 21, the Owls will leave the weekend with a 1-1 weekend split after facing what Gwilliam referred to as two very tough teams.

With the win on Sunday, Temple improves to 3-6-2 on the season, while Marist falls to 6-5-0 with their first home loss on the year.

“It feels great to get a win before we start conference play next weekend,” Jurewicz said.

The Owls next match will be their first Atlantic 10 Conference match as they face St. Joseph’s University at the Ambler Sports Complex on Saturday, Sept. 29 at 1 pm.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu.