Women’s tennis ends season with win

Team finishes with four wins in five match stretch.

The women’s tennis team closed out the regular season with a 6-1 victory against Binghamton Sunday afternoon at the Student Pavilion.

The Owls (9-13, 3-6 Atlantic 10 Conference) ended their season winning four of their last five matches. The Bearcats (4-16, 1-4 America East Conference) have only won one of their past 13 matches.

“I thought we played pretty well today,” Mauro said. “I think the last four games of the season were a success. I think that’ll put us in a good position for the upcoming [A-10] tournament.”

Junior Alicia Doms defeated sophomore Katherine Medianik 7-5, 6-0 in the top singles flight. In the second flight, junior Yana Mavrina topped freshman Alexis Tashiro 6-4, 6-2

In flight three, sophomore Rebecca Breland fell to freshman Sara Kohtz 6-3, 0-6, 6-4. Sophomore Ama Osei won 6-2, 6-1 against freshman Shea Brodsky in the fourth flight match.

“I think I did okay,” Breland said. “Just didn’t play my game well enough today, so I didn’t get the win.”

Freshman Minami Okajima defeated freshman Agatha Ambrozy 6-3, 4-6, 10-6 in flight five. In the sixth flight, junior Carly Bohman triumphed against senior Jessie Rubin 6-2, 6-2

In the top doubles flight, Mavrina and Breland defeated Medianik and Tashiro 8-4. Doms and Batey topped Ambrozy and Brodsky 8-3 in flight two. Okajima and Bohman were leading sophomore Missy Edelblum and Kohtz 6-2 in the third flight match when it was halted.

The Owls are next in action at the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament. The first round is on Thursday, April 18. The time and opponent have not been determined.

“It really doesn’t make much of a difference,” Mauro said of the team’s seeding. “The favorite is VCU, but there are a lot of good teams, and I think we have as good a chance as anyone.”

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.