Women’s tennis tops Morgan State in final day of tournament

Owls sweep singles and doubles match against Morgan State.

The third time was the charm for the Owls, who defeated Morgan State 5-0 in the final match at the VCU 4+1 Invitational.

The Owls lost to Campbell and Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday. They won all four singles matches on Sunday, and won the doubles match by default due to a lack of players on Morgan State.

Owls’ junior Alicia Doms won 6-1, 5-6, 10-8 over freshman Chelsi Russell. Doms, a co-captain, was pleased with her performance.

“I played pretty good,” Doms said. “Yesterday, we got in rhythm. We have been practicing really hard this week. So we were ready for these matches. Today we wanted to win, and we played really well. I’m pretty happy.”

In other singles action. Junior Yana Mavrina beat junior Ekaterina Iakovleva 6-4, 1-6, 11-9. Sophomore Rebecca Breland bested sophomore Jasmine Edwards 6-3, 6-1. Junior Jordan Batey defeated freshman Mi’Kola Cooper 6-2, 6-1. Batey is the only player not to lose a match this weekend.

“I think Jordan is playing pretty good,” Doms said.

“Today was an impressive performance,” coach Steve Mauro said. “Morgan State is a pretty solid team, and to beat them straight across the board was good for us.”

Sophomore Ama Osei and freshman Jasmine Merali won by default, because both the Morgan State doubles players were injured. That would have been Merali’s first collegiate match.

The Owls will play their first standard match at Penn State on Saturday, January 26 at 2 p.m. The Nittany Lions are currently ranked 50th in the nation.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.