SPRING FLING A WARM SUCCESS

With nice weather on hand, Spring Fling 2001 proved to be a success worth waiting for. This time last week rain and clouds tainted to forecast forcing the day to be pushed to Tuesday. The

With nice weather on hand, Spring Fling 2001 proved to be a success worth waiting for.

This time last week rain and clouds tainted to forecast forcing the day to be pushed to Tuesday. The only droplets of water to be seen were those from loaded water guns.

Energy practically oozed from the air, leaving everyone carefree with high spirits. Classrooms and bewildered professors were abandoned for the day to take in the activities.

It was evident from the large crowd of Temple students and locals that the festivities were appreciated and much needed. Blaring music, games and activities, gave way to satisfied students who may have needed a break from end-of-semester hassles, such as finals and papers.

Entertainment ranged from campus organizations offering games and prizes to various foods and desserts.

Live music could be heard across campus, most of which were Temple’s own talent. The unique thing about the entertainment was that the variance of groups were very diverse. The music ranged from blues to rap to folk music.

One of the groups that performed was blues/funk band TELA (The Electric Love Apparatus). They were summoned by the TSG and the president of SAC after hearing them at a benefit concert. The band, who has been together since December is currently working on a CD and saw Spring Fling as a good opportunity to gain exposure.

According to TELA piano player David Mattock, “I thought it was a lot of fun. Coming from the last year the crowd seemed to be a lot larger and really receptive to our music, along with the other various entertainment.”

TELA is expected to be playing a lot this summer in hopes of striking a record deal. Many students found the eclectic styles of music refreshing. With the wide range of students the diverse music was appreciated.

“I never really listened to different types of music,” said sophomore Fabienne Amisial, “but the music was so loud you couldn’t help but hear it. The wide variety was nice. I may have developed new taste, who knows.”

Overall the delayed Spring Fling was worth it, and had many students claiming that Spring Fling has never been this nice. “Had the weather not been as nice we may not of had the chance to showcase our music to Temple,” said Mattock.

Spring Fling was an escape from finals and papers, giving up and coming entertainment acts a chance for exposure, opening students eyes and ears to different styles of music, giving everyone a chance to relax and absorb the atmosphere.