Spring Fling offers array of activity

Students who haven’t been keeping track on their calendars might have been caught off guard by the enormous amount of people, food and fun Tuesday, April 20 on Main campus. Students flooded campus at the

Students who haven’t been keeping track on their calendars might have been caught off guard by the enormous amount of people, food and fun Tuesday, April 20 on Main campus.

Students flooded campus at the Bell Tower, 13th Street, Berks Mall and Liacouras Walk to take part in the annual Spring Fling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The event featured an amateur band showcase at the Bell Tower and tables from many student organizations on campus.

The university’s fraternities and sororities were among the many Greek organizations representing their letters proudly. They supplied information about their own organizations and the charitable events in which they participated.

Phi Sigma Sigma sorority found a creative way to raise money for its charity, The National Kidney Foundation. For $1, a person could hit any member of the sorority in the face with a whipped-cream pie.

Members of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority walked around with bins collecting money for The March of Dimes.

“The March of Dimes is a six-mile walk to collect money for care of premature babies,” said junior Latisha Pace, sorority member. “We want to show students we’re about community service.”

For students who felt active, the fair provided plenty of recreational activities, including a basketball shootout and a dunk tank that tested students’ throwing abilities. Jousting over an air mat or playing laser tag were also popular activities.

The U.S. Army even attended. They had a rock-climbing wall that tested students’ arm strength, endurance and fear of heights.

“We’ve been traveling with this wall for three weeks, and some of the best climbers I’ve seen are right here at Temple,” said Sergeant Fox of the U.S. Army.

Many students found a seat near the Bell Tower and listened to live music from the different bands that came to play. For more of a contemporary hip-hop sound, a DJ was stationed by the 7-Eleven on Liacouras Walk.

The DJ also provided the sounds for the fraternity and sorority party stroll on Liacouras Walk. The party stroll provided a sneak preview of the moves that will be made at the “Stomping on the Yard” step show this weekend.

“This has really been a good day,” said junior Jide Ehemikam, a Management Information Systems major. “This is the only way students can share this type of bonding experience. The time together is a pleasant way to close out the year, and send us off for the summer.”

Michael Abdul-Qawi can be reached at maq316@temple.edu.