Spring Fling show a “step” above the rest

On Saturday, April 22, Temple University held their annual Spring Fling Step Show hosted by Tiffany Bacon of Power 99 and Tigger from BET. The doors of the Liacouras Center opened at 7 p.m. Students

On Saturday, April 22, Temple University held their annual Spring Fling Step Show hosted by Tiffany Bacon of Power 99 and Tigger from BET. The doors of the Liacouras Center opened at 7 p.m.

Students and Greeks from all colleges gathered inside to watch their fellow brothers, sisters and friends step. It took a while for the auditorium to fill, but once it did the show was on.

Tiffany Bacon and Tigger began the show by giving shot outs to the East Coast and Temple. Once the step show was in action, Bacon introduced the sisters of Zeta Phi Beta. They appeared on stage dressed in black pants, royal blue shirts and took the stage in the shape of a Z.

The next to appear on the stage were the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha. They were uniformed in khakis and black shirts. During their step they praised one of their fellow brothers who has been the only Alpha here on Temple’s campus and has been holding down for quite a while. They teased him, claiming that he didn’t really know how to step, but he showed them. He started with very simple steps and his brothers followed. He then set it off with a complicated step and the Alphas held it down.

Next on were the women of Sigma Gamma Rho. They took the stage dressed in black with royal blue and gold boots. They began their show with a scene from the Matrix and finished with step chanting their call.

Dressed in camouflage, the Que dogs took the stage with their well-known ill dogfaces. During their step, they dropped the top half of their jump suits, showing off their physiques. They then stepped to their dog song, dropping to the floor and eating from gold bowls. When they came up, they surprisingly had thongs in their mouths and stomped off stage to Cisqo’s “Thong Song”. However, before the Que’s were completely finished, a Que no more than 9 years old appeared on stage and stepped with his big brothers.

The guys, who never step without a cane, followed the Que dogs. Yes, it was the Kappas that dressed to impress the ladies in white pants and shirts, with red suspenders and red ties. The Kappas took the audience through a time warp, stepping to jams from the early ’20s to the new millennium.

The winners of the step show, who stole the ladies’ hearts for the evening, were the brothers of Phi Beta Sigma. They did a three-part step show. They first did a small step dressed as The Men in Black. Then an alien space ship appeared on the stage seemingly because these brothers were from another world. They came out dressed with black robes and aliens faces. When they dropped the robes and faces they were dressed in black pants and vests revealing their chests. But not only were they from another world they were also from the motherland. Two more Sigmas appeared on the stage dressed in nothing but grass skirts. To nothing but a beat of a drum the Sigma’s did their step. The rest of the brothers then appeared on stage dressed in black pants and black vests holding a can of whipped cream. Chairs were placed in front of them and with the whipped cream they made all the ladies in the audience scream.

After the show, Tiffany Bacon and Tigger announced the winners: the Zetas and the Sigmas. The Blue and the White took it home to the enjoyment of the crowded Liacouras Center.