Spring sports begin

The Temple baseball and lacrosse teams will begin play this weekend and the softball team will host the Temple Tournament. Temple baseball will play a three-game series against Wichita State in Wichita, Kan. this weekend.

The Temple baseball and lacrosse teams will begin play this weekend and the softball team will host the Temple Tournament.

Temple baseball will play a three-game series against Wichita State in Wichita, Kan. this weekend. Lacrosse begins the season Sunday at noon against Colgate in Hamilton, N.Y.

Softball (6-4) hosts the Temple Tournament Saturday and Sunday at Erny Field in Mt. Airy. Princeton and Drexel will also compete in the tournament.

Temple baseball won last year’s Atlantic 10 tournament before dropping out in the first round of NCAA games.

The Owls lost to baseball powers Texas Tech and Cal State-Fullerton in the first round of NCAA games. They finished the year with a 27-31 record and a 15-7 A-10 mark. The team started the year 0-14.

Head coach James “Skip” Wilson returns for his 43rd year coaching the Owls. Temple lost pitchers Jeff Rugg and Greg Powell, who signed a free agent contract with the Houston Astros over the summer.

Also gone is centerfielder Bob Filler, who holds Temple records for at-bats (789), singles (172), games played (216) and hits (234).

Temple Lacrosse won its first Atlantic 10 title last season and made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1988 with a 13-6 record.

Junior Liz Frengs was a first team Mid-Atlantic Region All-American last season. Seniors Robin Keevan and Alli Demas were second team Mid-Atlantic All-Americans.

Demas was named the A-10 Defensive Player of the Year and coach Kim Ciarrocca was named the A-10 Coach of the Year.

Temple softball lost to Towson 3-2 last Sunday in the Pirate Classic in Greenville, N.C. The team won four games in the tournament. They beat Canisius, St. John’s, Towson, and Delaware.

Outfielders Lynsey Grace and Katie Weigle were named to the all-tournament team.