Spring sports notebook

The Temple fencing team was ranked seventh in the final national ranking and five of its fencers earned bids to the NCAA Fencing Championships Thursday through Saturday at Drew University. Sophomores Sakinah Shaahid and Aziza

• The Temple fencing team was ranked seventh in the final national ranking and five of its fencers earned bids to the NCAA Fencing Championships Thursday through Saturday at Drew University. Sophomores Sakinah Shaahid and Aziza Hassan will compete in the sabre; sophomore Sara Forsythe will compete in the epee; and lone senior Stefanie Izzolino and freshman Jeanne Browne will compete in the foil.
  • The Temple men’s gymnastics team, ranked 11th nationally, will host the ECAC Championships at McGonigle Hall March 23-24. After placing third in the Santa Barbara Invitational at the start of spring break, the Owls shutdown William & Mary and Illinois-Chicago to win a quad-meet at Navy last Sunday. This weeks ECAC Championships will welcome 11 programs, including defending national champion Massachusetts.
  • High hopes surround the women’s gymnastics team as it heads into the Atlantic 10 Championships Saturday in Kingston, R.I. Senior Cicely Warrington and sophomore Paige Ozaroski gave the team a boost to lift them past Cornell last Sunday. Warrington dominated the floor exercise with a meet-best 98.925 and had the best all-around performance for the Owls. Ozaroski led Temple in the bar and beam routine. She scored a 9.75 and 9.625, respectively.
  • The Temple baseball team will slide into action tonight with its first home game of the season at Enry Field. The Owls wrapped up their Florida road trip with their second extra inning loss of the early season, this time to Rhode Island 7-6 in 12 innings. Owl pitcher Bryan Stamm (0-2) gave up the extra inning solo homerun to send Temple back home with a 2-7 record.
  • The Temple softball team (9-17) returns from Florida as well to start A-10 play with a doubleheader against Massachusetts Saturday and Sunday. The Owls went 2-6 while in Florida and were swept by No. 16 Iowa last Saturday in a doubleheader. The Owls were no-hit against the Hawkeye’s in the first game, an 11-0 loss, and stranded eight base runners in a 6-2 loss in the second game.
  • Be the first to comment