STATUS QUO IS A STATUS NO: VOTE FOR BUSH

Everyone knows two facts: 1) Texas Gov. George W. Bush is the Republican presidential candidate, and Vice President Al Gore is the Democratic presidential candidate; 2) This election probably will be one of the closest

Everyone knows two facts: 1) Texas Gov. George W. Bush is the Republican presidential candidate, and Vice President Al Gore is the Democratic presidential candidate; 2) This election probably will be one of the closest in U.S. history, according to statisticians.

One of the more important issues of this election is the future of the economy. The U.S. economy has been booming for the past decade, and Vice President Gore would like to take credit for this prosperity.

A couple points should be made about this luck experienced by the Clinton-Gore administration. First, the economy started to boom during President Bush’s term in office in the early 1990s. Second, the economy had nowhere to go but up after the advancement in technology in the United States and abroad.

The man most responsible for the positive turn in the economy is Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, who was nominated by Republican President Reagan. The Democrats had a simple solution while they were in office: keep Greenspan as chairman.

Another issue affecting the economy is taxation. Bush wants to give tax cuts to the American people–all American people.

Gore wants to choose who benefits from the tax cut and who does not. To make matters worse, Gore plans to increase the size of the government by increasing the bureaucracy of the government with useless programs and services that people do not need. He wants to use our money to complicate the average American’s way of life.

Bush is looking to give back the money to the people so they can decide for themselves what to do with their hard-earned money. Republicans traditionally have attempted to reduce the size of the federal government to empower the people of this country through increased responsibility of local governments.

Another plan of Gore’s is to reduce the government deficit with the recent surplus. His agenda is ironic since he wants to use more money to increase the government. Every American is paying more in taxes now than ever before.

Next is the issue of Social Security. Every student who has a job contributes to a huge piggy bank called Social Security, which pays for the work of our parents after they retire. Projections on its revenue following our parents’ generation show that nothing will be left for us.

If nothing is done, the system will go bankrupt by 2037. Gore wants to do nothing special to revitalize this program. He is too busy protecting it as it is to get the votes of senior citizens. According to the official Bush/Cheney Web site, Bush plans to allow individuals to voluntarily set aside portions of their Social Security taxes in a private account. Bush hopes to help the seniors now by giving them options not presently available; in turn, younger Americans will have something when they retire.

The president we elect will have a great deal of influence restructuring the deteriorating Social Security program, deciding the fate of the budget surplus, and taxing and spending equitably. He will begin his term presiding over our economic prosperity. Your vote for Bush will be a vote for ensuring it.