Streak Continues for Women’s Tennis Team with Two Weekend Victories

The women’s tennis team rode a five-game winning streak into its matches against Army and Buffalo at West Point, N.Y. this weekend. The Owls beat Army, 6-1, Friday and Buffalo, 5-2, Saturday. Temple now holds

The women’s tennis team rode a five-game winning streak into its matches against Army and Buffalo at West Point, N.Y. this weekend.

The Owls beat Army, 6-1, Friday and Buffalo, 5-2, Saturday. Temple now holds a 6-2 record this season.

After losing their first two matches, the Owls have turned their season around by winning seven in a row.

Temple refused to let that streak end when they faced Army, who had a 7-2 record entering Friday’s match. The Owls dominated the Black Knights, winning all but one singles match and sweeping all of the double matches.

Junior Dina Senkina continued her own individual 13-match win streak with personal victories against Army and Buffalo. She has not lost an individual match since Feb. 2.

Also helping to propel the Owls to victory over the weekend was Josephine Bergman. The freshman tallied two wins and has a 3-0 record since returning from injury.

The second match of the back-to-back weekend against Buffalo proved to be a tough one, although, in the end, the Owls were able to extend their win streak to seven matches.

The Owls lost the first set in each of the three single matches. However, Temple was able to win five of the six singles matches.

Freshman Lucie Pazderova faced a huge uphill battle as she took on unbeaten Buffalo freshman Diana Popescu. Popescu was 13-0, until her match against Pazderova, who won 5-7, 7-5, and 7-5.

Sophomore Elyse Steiner made up for being the only Owl to lose Friday when she defeated Andrea Novaceanu, Buffalo’s No. 1 singles player. This win clinched the victory for the Owls, 5-2.

The Owls will next face Florida Golf Coast, Florida Atlantic and Boston University in three consecutive matches in Florida from March 11-13.

Nick Hollenstein can be reached at nick.hollenstein@temple.edu.