Street Sounds: Long Walk Home

As far as rock bands go, many of them are described as being a mixture of their favorite influences. Long Walk Home is often compared to jam bands such as Phish and the Grateful Dead. While they are fans of these bands, the group members do not consider themselves to be a part of that group.

“But I just can’t figure out why because we occasionally play a long song or two that somehow makes us a jam band,” guitarist/vocalist Julian Booker said in the Sept. 17, 2009 issue of Philadelphia Weekly.

Playing for more than seven years, Long Walk Home has continued to bring its mix of straight-up rock and laid-back grooves to its music. Taking the basics of rock, pop and blues, the band allows for these different genres to blend together for its often-catchy tunes.

Originally from Delaware, the band began as a two-piece set with Booker and now-drummer Mark Rybaltowski. They have since added three members and moved to Philadelphia. Booker, Pete Nellius and Kevin Ryan provide guitar and vocals, and Anthony Boxler plays bass. Three guitars help create several riffs at once, while Rybaltowski and Boxler keep the rhythm steady.

The band’s latest album, Heavy Sand, released in 2009, has brought it more success and recognition. The album continues the band’s smooth-rock music creations. “Friday Party,” with its laid-back folk-rock sound, and the straight-up rock and blues sound of “In A Red Dress,” showcase the band’s wide coverage of music genres. With its continuing rise in fame, Long Walk Home has begun working its way toward a national audience.

Stephen Kimmerly can be reached at stephen.kimmerly@temple.edu.