STRUGGLES OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM

She called yesterday and yelled at me. I asked why and she answered, in a few choice words that I already knew. Today, she left an apologetic, tear-jerking message, telling me how sorry she was

She called yesterday and yelled at me. I asked why and she answered, in a few choice words that I already knew. Today, she left an apologetic, tear-jerking message, telling me how sorry she was and how important I was to her.

If you’re a college student, this probably has happened to you or someone you know.

What are the reasons for these troubles? One can’t really be sure. Everyone I talked to could be crazy, but that’s too easy an answer. It could be another case of the notorious long-distance relationship. This monster is known to mercilessly destroy relationships without notice, although this is not meant to imply that on-campus relationships are as quaint as a frolic through a spring meadow.

Students have the same troubles on both ends of the spectrum. The only difference is people on campus can yell at each other face to face.

All long distance relationships began with one partner at Temple and branched out to one of three places: another college, high school, or back home. For obvious reasons the people with relationships from high school are all freshmen students. (Otherwise, I would have contacted the correct authorities.)

The one surprising characteristic of these relationships is the time they began. The oldest relationship found began seven months before the start of the semester, while the most recent began two months before. Each student said he or she thought about what would happen to the relationship before it began when it was time for college. Most believed they would end the relationship before college because of the difficulties associated with long-term separation.

Although as time passed, everyone changed his or her mind. They all agreed that going to college wasn’t a good enough reason too severe ties with that special person. A terrible argument, cheating or a similar event was the only good reason for a breakup.

No one denied that it’s comforting to be assured by someone with shared experiences who knows who you really are.

Naturally, one must gain some confidence at least unconsciously. Which in an odd way transcends to one meeting new people at college. Ironically, nothing can be made of these new relationships gained by a sense of confidence, because of one’s far off obligation. One student put it best when he said his girlfriend was almost a cover for not having sex.

Would the students polled substitute their present relationships for one here at Temple? Only if they found a new person who had the same qualities as their present partner, a time consuming process. One student offered a good rebuttal to this claim, “Relationships are something that happen when your not looking.” This makes you wonder if present circumstances have any role in meeting new people.

Has anyone been tempted while out of his or her partner’s sight? Why of course not! Well, ladies and gentlemen, it’s still early in the year. Good luck!