Student assaulted over parking dispute

A male student was arrested Wednesday for assaulting another male student in the parking lot on 11th and Montgomery streets, according to Temple police reports. At about 1 p.m. on Tuesday, March 22, Aaron Schaeffer,

A male student was arrested Wednesday for assaulting another male student in the parking lot on 11th and Montgomery streets, according to Temple police reports.

At about 1 p.m. on Tuesday, March 22, Aaron Schaeffer, 26, parked his late-model SUV in the entrance to the unpaved student parking area, blocking students from entering and exiting the lot.

Upon returning to his vehicle, police said Schaeffer observed another student in Schaeffer’s unlocked SUV. Schaeffer confronted the student and struck him in the head with a blunt object and fled the scene. Police did not know what kind of object Schaeffer used.

The victim, identified only as a 23-year-old student, was taken to Temple University Hospital and treated with three stitches.

According to police reports, the injured student was attempting to move Schaeffer’s vehicle in order to park his own car in the dirt lot.

Temple Police Captain Robert Lowell said there was no intent to steal the vehicle.

Schaeffer was arrested the next day at his home and charged with aggravated and simple assault, reckless endangerment and possession of an instrument of crime.

Plans for the university to utilize the space for sponsored parking go as far back as the early 1960s. At one time plans for the site included a multi-level parking facility.

Contrary to popular belief among students, the dirt lot is not university property. Several land owners claim parts of the site, but attempts by the university to purchase the land have failed.

Lucas K. Murray can be reached at lmurray@temple.edu.