Student awaits preliminary hearing for rape charges

Temple University student Andrew Porter, 21, was arrested Jan. 30 and charged with two counts of rape and related offenses, according to Sgt. Francis Erickson of the Philadelphia Police Department Special Victims Unit. Two female

Temple University student Andrew Porter, 21, was arrested Jan. 30 and charged with two counts of rape and related offenses, according to Sgt. Francis Erickson of the Philadelphia Police Department Special Victims Unit.

Two female students, who knew Porter only by his first name, reported Sunday Jan. 27 at noon to Campus Safety Services at 1810 Liacouras Walk with a complaint that they had been sexually assaulted by him in an apartment in Sydenham Commons, according to Temple Police Capt. Robert Lowell.

“We conducted a coordinated investigation with the Special Victims Unit,” Lowell said. “We were able to obtain the identity of the accused, and as a result of that a warrant was obtained and he was arrested and charged.”

According to Lowell, the other charges against Porter, a resident of the 2000 block of N. Carlisle Street, include sexual assault, indecent assault, indecent exposure, felonious restraint and one count of deviant sexual intercourse.

Porter attended a preliminary arraignment and is currently awaiting a preliminary hearing, Lowell said. At the present time, he is suspended from the university.

Morgan A. Zalot can be reached at morgan.zalot@temple.edu

9 Comments

1. I am very alarmed by these accusations, and a bit confused with regards to Temple’s seemingly hypocritical policy on “protecting the innocent.” When the heinous incident involving the assault of a young female Temple student took place some months ago at Anderson Hall, no names of either attacker or victim were ever identified and identities were kept painstakingly vague. While many protested against this in name of their safety, wanting more details and follow ups about the attacker as they came through, Temple remained tight-lipped throughout the entire ordeal and to the best of my knowledge there have yet to come out with such details updating the Temple community, in the name of “protecting the innocent.” Whether they are in the right or the wrong in their response, that is the action that was undertaken by the administration and Temple police.

So why is it now, before any finalized, legal decision has been made in determining whether these allegations are true are we posting this Temple Student’s name, face, and address all over Temple News? After all, is it not in our judicial system to say that all are innocent until proven guilty? I take GREAT issue in that what applied to one case in so-called protecting the innocent (again, whether or not that was in the interest of the Temple community is debatable, however that is the action Temple took and stood by) is not being implemented in this one. Shame on you Temple and shame on you Temple News.

2. temple news puts out a crime report every week, why now are you releasing names, addresses, and pictures? was it such hot news that you could not wait to release his information? do you think that after this ordeal is over he can return to school without having people assume things about him? why don’t you release the name of the other temple students that have been charged with crimes, like the student charged with murder last year?

3. i am not defending his behavior at all but is it ethical to print name and photo without a preliminary hearing?

2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

1. Should you post an alleged rapist’s photo? « Christopher Wink
  2. Alleged Coverage: coverage of accusations of sexual assault is warranted | The Temple News